Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not to put down cichlids, but piranhas look smarter than cichlids do. I can just tell by observing how piranhas act compared to cichlids. Does anyone else feel this way?
I disagreee 1000% percent, cichlids such as oscars are unaparelled in brain mass by any other fresh water fish (with the excepiton of certain morimidae which are extremely timid creatures.) My oscars knew how to do tricks, and could distinguish me from other people; let's jsut say when they grew larger, they never bit the hand that fed them, even though they bit many a hand!

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Not to put down cichlids, but piranhas look smarter than cichlids do. I can just tell by observing how piranhas act compared to cichlids. Does anyone else feel this way?
I disagreee 1000% percent, cichlids such as oscars are unaparelled in brain mass by any other fresh water fish (with the excepiton of certain morimidae which are extremely timid creatures.) My oscars knew how to do tricks, and could distinguish me from other people; let's jsut say when they grew larger, they never bit the hand that fed them, even though they bit many a hand!
[/quote]

Agreed.
People have been known to teach oscars to "Roll over" and jump through hoops.
Seriously.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I will add, however, that the intelligence of certain piranha puts most other characins to shame. My gianormous solo red puts many fish to shame, he is a great guy. Pacu are intelligent aswell, I have heard of large pacu learning linear tricks.

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I agree that cichlids are probably 'smarter' even though I don't think there is such a thing in the fish world.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
I agree that cichlids are probably 'smarter' even though I don't think there is such a thing in the fish world.
you made fun of me whne i said my p's were smart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts