Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a common pleco with my piranha's. that pleco has been with my piranha's for a year or so but its getting bitten up lately, it has mangled fins with bite chunks taken out. I had a fancy pleco that got eaten by my red belly piranha's, Im hopeing that dosent happen to this guy too.

is this common with red bellys, I keep hearing everyone say that its no problem, but I can't seem to keep anything with them.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've kept common plecos with mine but sooner or later they will eatem. Thats why I stopped keeping plecos, they just cant hang with piranhas.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
You will generally find that keeping other fish with piranhas always ends in death, however occasionally people are able to keep other fish with piranhas, one of the most sucsessful is the common pleco. to help you pleco last provide lots of driftwood, they love to hide on it.

I have a very odd pleco, mine is about 12" and comes out to steal food right from the mouths of 3 10" Cariba

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
how big are teh fish and how big is the tank...and what do you have for territories set up in the tank ... if the answer to these questions asked does not cut it then you will encounter problmes gaurenteed... first thing to ask yourself ...have these standards been met...If so you may consider feeding your P's more often to reduce fin nipping...or try creating more hiding areas for you pleco

G

·
I've kept my pleco in with my redbellies for around a year now, no problems, i put one in with my piraya, it lasted a week, one clean bite right at the guts and it was killed. Pirayas own.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir Nathan XXI said:
I have a very odd pleco, mine is about 12" and comes out to steal food right from the mouths of 3 10" Cariba
thats the same here. my 6" pleco is always the first to suck on a piece of shrimp before the 8" red belly's take it away

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
once they start picking on something.they will continue to do so.they best thing is get him shelter to hide as pervious post suggest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
mmmmmmmm...
ive kept plecos before (not with reds)
i suggest if yer plec is getting brused and you care for him get him out of there!!!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nate, your really being bashed on the predatoryfish board. have you seen the things there saying about you?

I really wish they would lay off once in a while. arguing is one thing, but picking on someone and making fun of them is just wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts