Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people in buy and sell have black piranhas for sale but not willing to ship. So i was wondering, if i go on a weekend getaway, and also buy the fish, how will it survive?

Figure since its a weekend thing, leave thursday night and come back sunday night/monday morning. Can a black piranha live in a ice chest for 2 days? lol.

I was thinking take one of those coolers (plastic ones, not styrofoam) and fill it will some gravel and cycled water, etc. and put the fish in there, then every few hours open the drain valve and let out 10% of water and refill with bottle water. also open the lid every once in a while for oxygen, maybe get a hotwater bottle (the kind garfield uses) and fill with hot water and throw it in there for heat. (hopefully the rest areas or whatever have hot water and not cold water only.)

So what do you think of my little idea? any flaws or has anybody tried it or what?

BTW, i love roadtrips so mine as well hit 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sounds like a well thougt out plan. I too will be going on a road trip to get some rbp let me know how it works out.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I wouldnt change the water that they are in. You can buy battery powered air pumps at fish shops for less then $10. Just get an airstone, line, and you good to go. That should provide enough aeration plus it will be less stressful on the fish, thus ensureing higher chance of survival. I dont know how long they can survive if the temp of the water gets to low, so I dont know if you will have to worry about that. Twice I drove from san francisco up to portland oregon to get some P's before i knew that people shipped them. That was a 13 hour drive one way and they made it okay. I think that the batt. powered pump will get you though okay. just make sure you have plenty of batts. Usually they take like 2 D's

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I agree battery powered airpumps are the way to go, if you are getting medium fish, dont put many in a bucket or bin, they use up oxygen much faster than small fish, if they are over 8" you may want each to have their own bin of about 10g

·
Texas Justice
2,257 Posts
i kept 6 small red bellies in an ice chest with a battery powered air pump for 3 days. i had bought them in tenn. and brought them back to south florida. no problems.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Would it be possible to rig up a heater to your cigarette lighter using a converter? I have never tried this, just a thought..,...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Xenon said:
Would it be possible to rig up a heater to your cigarette lighter using a converter? I have never tried this, just a thought..,...
yeah i have a AC/DC converter that i use in my car and you can plug in househeld items from within the car, this way you can set up your own mobile tank with fitration and heating. Good luck.
I picked mine up at Canadian Tire. They are not overly expensive and will surve a good purpose

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rhoms are pretty hardy fish. One time I had a friend pick up two 4" rhoms from a buddy of mine who had his own fish import business. One of the workers bagged the two Rhoms together with barely enough water for them to sit in. The poor fish literally had to lay on their sides to be completely submerged in the water. The Rhoms stayed in that condition for about sixteen hours before my friend was able to bring over to my house. Never the less, I was peedoff at my friend for not putting more water in the bag. He claimed he was afraid that they would attack him. The Rhoms survived and didin't seem to have affected them at all. I would assume with a little care and TLC they will do just fine. Good Luck

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
I like the hot/cold cooler idea. I had one before and it worked great. Then have the battery powered air pump then you could be set I have seen the coolers for $50 so that would be better than losing a nice fish.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Yeah, Im planning to take a trip to Orgon also. The battery airpump I know about, filteration inside a cooler I can do without, but heat is an essencial that Im worried about for a 9-12 hr trip. X, your idea of rigg'in a heater from a lighter is great, but seems complicated. So what about heat pads? Does a LFS carry these or would it only be available for distributers?

And NaTE, you say if the fishes were 8" or over, I would have to let each fish have their own container. Im planning to get 7 Ps @ 8" each, cant I sacrifice 2-3 in a 10 gal? I dont think I can drive from Org to Cali with (7) 10 gal containers and not look suspicious.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Yeah, Im planning to take a trip to Orgon also. The battery airpump I know about, filteration inside a cooler I can do without, but heat is an essencial that Im worried about for a 9-12 hr trip. X, your idea of rigg'in a heater from a lighter is great, but seems complicated. So what about heat pads? Does a LFS carry these or would it only be available for distributers?

And NaTE, you say if the fishes were 8" or over, I would have to let each fish have their own container. Im planning to get 7 Ps @ 8" each, cant I sacrifice 2-3 in a 10 gal? I dont think I can drive from Org to Cali with (7) 10 gal containers and not look suspicious.
Yes we are,
or just you, or just me but yea, i am going

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would also go with the converter. Better safe than sorry. About not looking suspicious, I dont know how your going to be able to hide that many p's of that size. Maybe a large cooler with some dividers or something. I dunno, never tried it. Good Luck!

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
GARGOYLE said:
I would also go with the converter. Better safe than sorry. About not looking suspicious, I dont know how your going to be able to hide that many p's of that size. Maybe a large cooler with some dividers or something. I dunno, never tried it. Good Luck!
cooler is a good idea, and like we said, a Bat. air pump and some stuff like that, should be fine for a day or two. i dont see why not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
insinuasian-- wonderful idea about the battery airpump, i wasnt aware of them, brillant!

another thing i been thinking of:

1) take an old filter and throw it in the cooler (the old media has the good bacteria living in it) or take off a bio wheel temporarly or add some gravel or something.

2) use bungie cords to tie down the cooler incase that 12" rhom tries to "bust out"

3) heating?? hmm the ac/dc sounds like a good idea but a big rhom might try and bite it therefore electricute itself, right? i sold my baby RBP today (like 4-5 inches) and they bite through the plastic bag within seconds of being in there, who knows what a big rhom will do??? Anymore ideas on heating? the only things i can think of are a hot water bag or frequent water changes using warm/hot water to keep the temp up.

If i do go on a roadtrip it will be in spring time and if i leave the fish in the trunk for a weekend the temp drop will kill them.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I would not worry about heat for your trip that much. I drove from san francisco to portland oregon which is 13 hours one way. They made the trip back no problem. I had them in a cooler. I just asked the guy at the shop to spare a little tank water for the trip back home. That way they get less stressed from change water. Its better to just ask for some water from the tanks they were in already, where ever you get them. Most fish shops wont mind, espeacially when you tell them what you need it for. Im sure that they would have been okay for longer period. Just make sure that you get the batt. powered airpump.

Where exctly are you going by the way? I went up to this shop call "A-Z Aquarium" or something like that. They had real nice fish. A whole lota reds pretty cheap and alot of siizes, a few golds, and some medinai (spilo cf).

P's are hardy fish. I do not condon this kinda fish treatment, but I had a friend that kept 4 reds in a bucket with only an air pump cause he needed the tank space for an arrowana. They fish lasted 2 months like that with no heater before he found another home for them. Just the heat from inside the house. That should give you an idea how hardy these fish really are. A few hours on the road should be okay.

~Dj

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
ezlife said:
insinuasian-- wonderful idea about the battery airpump, i wasnt aware of them, brillant!

another thing i been thinking of:

1) take an old filter and throw it in the cooler (the old media has the good bacteria living in it) or take off a bio wheel temporarly or add some gravel or something.

2) use bungie cords to tie down the cooler incase that 12" rhom tries to "bust out"

3) heating?? hmm the ac/dc sounds like a good idea but a big rhom might try and bite it therefore electricute itself, right? i sold my baby RBP today (like 4-5 inches) and they bite through the plastic bag within seconds of being in there, who knows what a big rhom will do??? Anymore ideas on heating? the only things i can think of are a hot water bag or frequent water changes using warm/hot water to keep the temp up.

If i do go on a roadtrip it will be in spring time and if i leave the fish in the trunk for a weekend the temp drop will kill them.
yup yup, your welcome
car bat, and some wiring and voltage changer and some sodering, works great.
let us know how it goes ok man?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
bobme said:
Yes we are,
or just you, or just me but yea, i am going
Yeah BoB, if your still down. Im planning to go to Hollywood's place this weekend to get 7-8" RBs, plus to check out some of their LFS to see what they have. Its gonna be a trip seeing P's for sale in a fish store!!!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
When you go up there, dont expect to find "sharkaquarium" type stores. They have alot of reds in oregon and thats about it. I did find a few golds, and a few medinai...but other then that, you wont find too much. Save your money on gas and have someone ship them to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.