Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is the story, i bought 6 baby p's and put them in a 10 gallon, they stated fighting a little bit so i bought a 20 gallon temporarily for them to live in. I cleaned everything right, put everything in there i should've, i waited a day and put some water safe tablets in the water. I used these same tablets with the 10 gallon. I put 3 fish in the 20 gallon and the next day, they wre dead. So I am left with 3 now in the 10 gallon, all 3 about 1.5". I am going to put them in the 20 gallon eventually but they seem to be doin fine in the 10 for at least a little more time. I want to have 6 piranhas all together so i was wondering if i bought three more, the same size as my current ones, and introduced each group into a new tank together would they coexist

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You need a much bigger tank (55 gallon or so) for the remaining three. CYCLE IT, don't use wonder products that claim to make your water instantly perfect for fish, it's rubbish. If you want six then I would strongly suggest investing in something around 75 gallons or more. They are kind of needy space wise as they like to establish territories and the like.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
WECOME TO THE BOARD!!!!

First off you did the right thing trying to separate your Ps, cause even at an early age, they will fight amost each other. Secondly, the first and important thing is when transferring ANY fish into a new tank, is to cycle it. I've never used the tablets, also have no heard good referrences to them. Bio Spira is a good alternative, but doing actual cycling through feeders and water checks is the best way to go.. period!! This process might take longer than most chemicals, but its the safest and surest thing!!
Also, I hope you do invest in a bigger tank somewhere in the future. Your 3 Pswont last for long in your 20 gal, and adding even more would cause other casualties in the long run. A 55 gal would be sufficient for your 3 Ps.. and 80+ gal would be suitable for 3 more.. Good Luck!!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
WECOME TO THE BOARD!!!!

First off you did the right thing trying to separate your Ps, cause even at an early age, they will fight amost each other. Secondly, the first and important thing is when transferring ANY fish into a new tank, is to cycle it. I've never used the tablets, also have no heard good referrences to them. Bio Spira is a good alternative, but doing actual cycling through feeders and water checks is the best way to go.. period!! This process might take longer than most chemicals, but its the safest and surest thing!!
Also, I hope you do invest in a bigger tank somewhere in the future. Your 3 Pswont last for long in your 20 gal, and adding even more would cause other casualties in the long run. A 55 gal would be sufficient for your 3 Ps.. and 80+ gal would be suitable for 3 more.. Good Luck!!
do i hear ..m.o.m

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You could mix Red bellies and Caribe with little to no problem I believe. Piraya mixed with either of the other two is pretty risky as they are a little more aggressive and their fighting can be more fatal where red's primarily nip fins when quarelling. I could see mixing reds and pygos but I see a greater risk when adding piraya.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
rosecityrhom said:
You could mix Red bellies and Caribe with little to no problem I believe. Piraya mixed with either of the other two is pretty risky as they are a little more aggressive and their fighting can be more fatal where red's primarily nip fins when quarelling.
Yeah, you can mix RBs and Caribas with no prob. But the only thing you'd need changing is size differencial and even more space. Caribas and Pirayas can be more aggressive then RBs alone, even more territorial. So having them a tad smaller than the RBs would make them suitable to live together.

I could see mixing reds and pygos but I see a greater risk when adding piraya.
Pssst RCRhom.. *reds, caribas, terns and piraya are all considered pygos*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.