Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
summer is near I was wondering if anyone has a pond set up for red belly piranhas outside..... Its 2000 gallon and well protected by the other animals..it has a powerful filter but sometimes frogs come in for a swim.....is it a bad idea to put some p's in it ?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
necroxeon Posted Today, 04:59 PM
summer is near I was wondering if anyone has a pond set up for red belly piranhas outside..... Its 2000 gallon and well protected by the other animals..it has a powerful filter but sometimes frogs come in for a swim.....is it a bad idea to put some p's in it ?
From an ethical point of view, not a good idea. Legally? Don't know B.C. laws to comment.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I personally see no problem with the idea. As long as you are treating the p's to proper water/feeding conditions, and the pond is protected, what is so bad about this idea? Keep in mind that you probably can't keep a pond warm all winter. Other than that, all I can think about is RB's with a whole lot more room to grow than they would get in a standard aquarium.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i think it's such a cool idea. please do it and take photos. there's a video in the downloads section depicting an outdoor pond teeming with caribe eating a big fish lowered with a fishing pole. maybe you'll get some ideas from there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i am in the process of changin the water... i will put all the water from my 90 gallon and add the rest...after few days of cycling, i will introduce them to the pond...will post pics when i do.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
hastatus said:
From an ethical point of view, not a good idea.
[snapback]879623[/snapback]​
Can you explain a little more why ethically is not a good idea ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just emptied the pond and put fresh water in it....... And ethical point of view, hmmmmmmmmmm. First of all it is in my back yard with 2.2 feet fence.... Deepest part of the pond is 4 feet.... There are no people around or anyone tried to swim in it yet .... Occationally I get frogs come in but I doubt they would now. I am building a 800 gallon tank with a friend of mine for the winter. Only think I was worried about is the health of the P's because of the temprature changes they are not used to. But in the summer around here gets really hot... And yeah I am also little worried about the leafs flyin in ...

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
rchan11 Posted Today, 03:34 PM
QUOTE(hastatus @ Feb 6 2005, 12:18 AM)
From an ethical point of view, not a good idea.

Can you explain a little more why ethically is not a good idea ?
I can so long as everyone understands that I'm not taking sides on this. Other than explaining why it is not ethical. Piranas brought into your homes is a pet expected to be kept in an aquarium. That is why they are sold in pet stores. Having said that, you may think its ok to to put it in an outdoor pond and perhaps provide it with all its needs, however, ethically it is wrong because you are setting a standard that is not the norm for aquarists. It also makes it possible for legislators to enact laws to prevent further sales of your fish. So that is where the term ethics comes into play. Technically, you are releasing the fish in the open and not in the confined area of a home aquarium. You can google the definition for "ethics" but I'm sure you get the meaning.

I highlighted the portion below that attracted my attention, though he may have been kidding. That aside, people are naturally afraid of piranas. If the unknowing public finds out that some person has them in an outdoor pond, fenced in or not, it will bring more attention than the fish really needs. As I said, I'm not familar with B.C. laws, but I'm sure there are probably laws prohibiting releasing non-native fish, even if its your back yard pond.
necroxeon Posted Today, 08:17 PM
just emptied the pond and put fresh water in it....... And ethical point of view, hmmmmmmmmmm. First of all it is in my back yard with 2.2 feet fence.... Deepest part of the pond is 4 feet.... There are no people around or anyone tried to swim in it yet .... Occationally I get frogs come in but I doubt they would now. I am building a 800 gallon tank with a friend of mine for the winter. Only think I was worried about is the health of the P's because of the temprature changes they are not used to. But in the summer around here gets really hot... And yeah I am also little worried about the leafs flyin in ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts