Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you feed your piranhas plant life or plants by chance? I feed mine Algae Wafers and they love it. I notice colors are greatly improved by eating it and I know they are getting the nutrition they need that they don't get from other meats.

Any thoughts on this?

SMTT

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
mine generally ignore algea wafers once they are on the gravel, but they do eat my plants - a bit,
and they even have a go at the plastic ones!

·
Registered
698 Posts
P's prune plants 1) create a nest 2) to make sure they have room in front of, behind, and side of to avoid attacks. They are not doing it just to eat them. :
:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't think piranha GI tract was designed to break down cellulose. I think plants may just serve as roughage. i think plant nutrients are indirectly utilized from the prey that the piranha consume that have the ability to break down cellulose.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
All of my plants are mangled, when I feed them my fish go head on chasing the food and biting at what ever is in front of them, It have became a big pain, as I have to replant them 4-5 times a week. Because they rip them from the gravel. I find Huge bite holes nice and round in them. But I do not beleave they are using them as a souce for food.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I used to have vallisneria strands in my piranha-tank, but my reds mowed them down to stumps within days, so I replaced them by java fern and anubias.
And they occasionally swallow an algae wafer, but I think they just do that by accident.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts