Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few months I have been doing an experiment of sorts involving mixing other fish with my piranha and recording how long they can cohabitate. Some of you may find this cruel to the cichlids but remember I have seen an oscar live with piranha for its entire life without getting more than a fin nip.

I started with (some at different times)

2 firemouth cichlids (2 inch)
4 convicts (2-3 inch)
4 jewel cichlids (2-4 inch)
2 crayfish (blue and regular)
2 plecos (common)

Well the only fish left here are the 2 original jewel cichlids. For about 1 month they cohabitated closely with a 3 inch Spilopleura CF. One jewel lost its tail that is not growing back. A convict died in this tank.

They were all then moved to a 20g with a solitary 5 inch green natt for about another month. There were no casualties.

Now on to the meat. Eventually all fish were moved into a 55g with the fish in my sig. A green natt, 3 super reds, and a tern. The first to go were the 2 firemouths. 2 of the jewels died by disease. 3 of the convicts went MIA next. In the meantime, 2 crayfish fell victim and 2 plecos (I think the green natt was doing the deed).

This left me with my original 2 Jewel Cichlids (one with no tail). They have established themselves well in this tank and so not show any signs of going anywhere. They have carved out their own territory around a cave I built for them and a small grove of plants. They actively and effectivly herd all the piranha out of this little space. Its great seeing a 3 inch jewel cichlid intimidate a 3-4 inch yellow natt. The bigger one gets all red and scares the bejesus out of the piranha.

I know this is causing stress to these cool fish but it is a very awesome sight to see.

Sorry for the long post.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
if they are ruling your piranhas I can only guess that one day it will be too much and they will be lunch.

one day your piranhas will grow up - lol

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
It's ironic the Jewels would be the survivors considering they are a African cichlid. You would think the South and Central Americans would be a little more piranha savy.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Serrapygo said:
It's ironic the Jewels would be the survivors considering they are a African cichlid. You would think the South and Central Americans would be a little more piranha savy.
africans can and frequently are just as aggressive, if not moreso, than CA cichlids.

An africans' only deficiency is that most of them, including jewels, max at 4-5"

Eventually they will be so dwarfed by the fast-growing piranha that they WILL be munched down.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Serrapygo said:
Africa and South America were at one time connected. Grab a map of the world. Look at South Americas east coast and Africas west coast. They fit together like puzzel pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.