Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up everyone after hunting these Ps down i got three yesterday. i got three RBP and everytime i move or when i walk in the room they run and hide im sure thats natural for them but will they get used to me and stop doing that.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
they should and it all depends on how comfortable they are and there personality mine were like that but they are always being walked by and stuff so i can get right up to the tank and look at them and they usualy don't run and hide. sometimes they do but thats expected.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Mine were extremely skittish when I got them, but that changed after about two months. I spend a lot of time in front of the tank, so they got used to the idea of having me around, and I also placed the tank in a high traffic area, which also forces them to get used to people around.
Nowadays, 11 months later, they all come up to greet me when I walk past their tank (in hope of a meal, of course), and they don't even move when I wave my arms around wildly, or move my hand over the glass.

It's all a matter of patience: they need to get used to their new surroundings first, and after that, they need to get used to having people nearby as well, and that process takes time...

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Mine hide some now after 3 months. One way I got them to be a little more active and not as skittish is removed alot of my tank items. At first I had way too many pieces of driftwood and they would hide behind them. I think this also makes them become less skittish and they will shoal together better.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've had mine for 7 months now and they're as skittish as they were when I got them. It all depends on the personality of your piranha.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
... Accept them for what they are, but with frequent trips and stays beside the tank they will slowly adjust. Not to mention that duplicating their natural environment and giving them the least amoutn of stress will also help as well
Good luck

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Perhaps it even depends on the looks of their owner
j/k

Just give them time, and try to spend a lot of time in front of your tank. And like others said: some will never fully snap out of it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Judazzz said:
Perhaps it even depends on the looks of their owner
j/k
Actually I wonder if that has any truth to it?

... you never know. I mean it is obvious that they can see things. And we know that they can recongnize certain objects and materials.

Any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
And we know that they can recongnize certain objects and materials.
When you're talking about objects outside of the tank, it's not really recognition in a human sense. They are able to associate certain objects once they have been condition for prolonged time (like a cup, from which you take food).
Wheter fish are able to recognize different persons, I don't know. My reds come up to the front to "greet" me when I come home or when they are hungry, and I haven't seen that response with other people (well, not as extreme as in my case), but I don't really know what it means, or what conclusions can be drawn from this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally think it's on a fish by fish basis. I have 9 rbps and some actually approach the tank when I come close. Some actually chase my finger when I run it across the glass and some scatter away.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
When my RBs were 3-4" they were little woosies, always hiding or swimming for cover. After months of staring at the tank and watching them eat, I would put my finger close to the front of the tank only to see them try an go after it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts