Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Because Dave and I are friends. He looks out for OPEFE and I look out for Natures Images.

a-ronn Posted Today, 10:02 PM
Sounds good to me. Also if he found the pic on google and there was noone to give credit to what do you want the guy to do ?
Exactly why Dave goes after people that are stealing his photo work. He's a professional photographer and that is stealing art work. It is copyrighted images. So while he may not take any action on you, the fact that the rhombeus image is being circulated on the internet without his approval or credit is enough for him to find out who is doing it. Just so you know some history. There was a web site owned by a fellow who called himself GuClu back in the early 90s. Some of the old timers (ie; Wayne Mah = 911) will remember him. Anyway this boy used the very same image as his HOME PAGE. Dave got wind of it and not only shut the kid's web site down but also I helped in notifying other scientists that their photos were also being stolen and being used without credit and/or permission. It is indeed a serious matter, so you must be careful on this. With OPEFE images, I tend not to care too much if they appear here at PFURY, being that I support this forum, however that is not the case outside of PFURY if someone takes my photos and uses them without credit or a link.
What's the big deal with removing the photographers name? I mean, for those who has websites who steals pictures, why can't they just leave the credited photographers name on the picture, and they won't have to get into trouble?

Anyways; If I'd taken that picture of that rhom, I'd also probably copyrighted it :nod:

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
I love that Rhom picture! It is in several of the books that I own.

"Anyways; If I'd taken that picture of that rhom, I'd also probably copyrighted it" I would as well!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Being a photographer is a tough business if no-one recognises your work. its not just solely because of the "credit" but the fact that if someone sees that picure or any picture for that matter and decides to get in touch with the photographer eg to ask to take photos for them then your income and liveleyhood could be stake if people do not respect the fact that the person who took it might not just be uploading it for something to look at but maybe even and advertisation of his work. no matter how good or innocent the intentions are the fact is this guy may be relying on his photos to make himself know and to be succesful .............

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
However, I do still want to know why he put "Sorry little boy, I'm not GAy, are you?" at the end of my quote!!!?? I never said that, where did that come from, and why?
Juggalo, read the highlited portion of your text that I cite. It was a meant as a joke on the remark that YOU LOVE PRICKS.:laugh:
Aahhh--gotcha! You are a clever one I must say!!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
This is an old topic, not really necessary to resurrect. But D. Schleser replied today. His reasons for not replying earlier are stated in the body of the text:

Sorry to take so long to answer you, but this email
got lost in my in box while I was leading an Amazon
fish trip.
If my memory serves me, this fish was caught in Peru
at the confluence of the Rio Apayacu with the
Yanayacu.
RE Photo credits: Using someone's photo(s) without
permission or credits is considered a violation of
international copyright laws and a form of illegal
plagiarism. Many people depend on sales and royalties
for use of their photos as a source of income and
using a photo illegally deprives the photographer of a
legitimate source of income that also helps in
covering the expenses inherent in getting the photo. I
frequently donate at no cost photos to educational web
sites, such as this or university sites where all that
is required is a credit line. The usual agreement is
that the photo can be used for educational,
non-commercial (read "non- profit making") purposes
without charge. The credit line is very important if
someone wishes to contact the photographer about
buying the photo for commercial purposes. By the way,
the rhombeus portrait in question has been used
several times in publications and educational graphics
of various sorts.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i think that mr. Schleser has a right to be credited for the things that he has done...he has helped a great deal with piranha reserch and the hobbie....would love to have a live chat with him on this site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could understand lecturing him for posting the photo if he had claimed that it his own. He hadn't. He just wanted some information on a photo he found in a Google search. Crime involves motive and intent. His post had niether. I feel that everyone agrees that posting another persons pictures or otherwise misusing intellectual property is wrong and distasteful. But understand there IS a difference between posting pictures found randomly in a search engine with the intent to obtain similar pictures and posting pictures found randomly in a search engine and claiming that you took the picture. I can't believe you couldn't draw that line.

Hastatus, your entire post was asinine. But it did give me a good laugh.

Way to be wound up tight!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i used to use that photo as my avitar, its actually still part of it, but like this kid, it was searched on google, where there was no photo credit, so how the hell are we supposed to know? if it said his name at the bottom, its not like i would have removed it, im not trying to steal his photos at all, i just thought it was a cool looking piranha from google, look your both right, frank is right, this kid is right, so just stop arguing your both right because its different cerccumstances, if someone takes a pic, photo shops out the credit, and then posts it to sell a fish or promote a website or to even say they took the pic, then yes frank is right, but if you just look for a cool pic of a P, and where you find it with no credit, then no one is at fault except the original person who cut out the credit, and we dont know who that is, so just shut up already

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Thanks frank for bringing up a topic I thought died down
this deserves to be in the saved topics after your last posting. Topic moved.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Juggalo Posted Today, 02:34 PM
anyone have a larger pic of this Rhom close up? All I can find is this small one......thanks
FYI, David M. Schleser does not take kindly to his photo (the one you have attached here) being displayed without his credit. The fish is a wild caught.
ummm of course its wild cought... its a rhom

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.