Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I`m from India.I`m taking baby steps into this addictive hobby.I got myself 4 piranhas about the size of guitar picks around 6 months back.One recently died due to reasons unknown...can you please identify the piranha species for me.I`ve attached the pic(looks very pale in the picture...around 8 inches when it died).I got my piranhas for about 1$ a pair (yes people that cheap!
)... now i`m really worried if real pirnahas can be that cheap considering the amount you guys pay.If you can please name the species that i have ,it`ll be of great help.Can I go ahead and buy myself more of these?

peace
sharat

yahoo messenger ID:sharatz83
yahoo mail ID :[email protected]

View attachment 43278

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a Red Pacu.
A word of caution: they get big (at least 60cm.) and get big fast!!! So make sure you can house them in the future (or trade them for real Redbellied Piranha's).

*Moved to Piranha ID*

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks judazz and fishofury....

They look so like the piranhas....and all these days i thought i had piranhas...damn!
will try to get some RPB`s . what should look for in real RBP`s(juveniles) next time i go to buy?

peace
sharatz

G

·
The easiest to spot difference is the mouth. Have a look at the P. Nattereri (red belly) photo. They have a real powerfull looking jaw compared to like a slot on a Pacu. Teeth are not always visible but here is a picture from Franks OPEFE site.

Its the best resource for learning about P appearance if you wish to learn more click on here

G

·
I know what you mean it is more difficult to spot in juveniles but the mouth remains different looking, just on a smaller scale.

Usually any big fish will eat a fish it can fit in its mouth. But the Pacu will certainly not be biting chunks out of fish as a Pygocentrus Nattereri would.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
if he has access to pacus, shouldn't getting red bellies be in the realm of possibility for him? i remember seeing members in asia. china, phillipines, japan, etc. members seem to be able to locate them over there. if any asia members read this please help him out. if he wants p's he doesn't even have to get rid of his pacus necessarily if he decides to get a decent size tank and he gets reds they've been shoaled together countless times.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
sharatz said:
thanks judazz and fishofury....

They look so like the piranhas....and all these days i thought i had piranhas...damn!
will try to get some RPB`s . what should look for in real RBP`s(juveniles) next time i go to buy?

peace
sharatz
[snapback]831783[/snapback]​
If possible, I'd , try to shoot some pics in the store, and then post them here for confirmation.
I can be really tough to keep them apart: in general, pacu's have an overbite, whereas redbellies have an underbite. Also, imo. pacu's have bigger fins in comparison to their overall body size...

Good luck

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys,

had been to a local aquarium and saw a real red bellied piranha(was around 3 inches) ,it had a prominent jaw and the teeth were visible.now i can identify a real red bellied piranha and differentiate pacus from piranhas.was for sale for around 16$...but still i`m thinking if i should be getting it cause it had white spots. and there was only one ...so what say?planning to get atleast four....and piranhas are real hard to come by in India.

peace
sharat

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Yeah, I would get him too - there's always time to add more fish if you happen to find them.

As far as the ich goes: slowly raise the water temperature to around 84 degrees F, and add one tablespoon of salt for every 5-10 gallons of tank water, and try to disturb him as little as possible. It should be gone within 10 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.