Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I also posted this in the ID-forum (see here), but since this forum gets a lot more traffic, I decided to post it here as well...

This is the deal: I got a new piranha today, and the previous owner told me it was a Spilopleura (it was sold to him as a spilo). But after some closer inspection, it seems to be different than a spilo cf... It has very large eyes, vertical bands on his silvery-greenish flanks, a humeral spot and reddish gill-plates, and it looks much more elongated than a spilo cf at that size (4-5"). Besides that, I know it's a wild-caught specimen, imported by a Dutch fish "farmer" that moved to Brasil and seels fish to Dutch lfs's, but I don't know what the collection point is...

Here are some pics (sorry about the quality: the fish is still very shy, and the water is pretty tea colored because of tanins that come off the driftwood, and a brownish light bulb I use as tank light):

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... :smile:

·
Registered
179 Posts
What a suprise ...

I tought, you were talking about a GOLD spilo....

A LARGE tank is now on your "must-buy"list....

I am very suprised...and you said "from Brazil" ?

The manueli is from orinoco-system, or am I wrong ?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Yepps.. def a manueli
what size tank??
what an ugly fish!!! ..you don't want it juda...!!! but don't worry i'll be a good friend and i'll give it a good home...
...very nice...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys

Raf: maybe next time...

Petzl88: I think he's about 4-5" TL, but I thought measuring him after making a 4-hour trip in a goldfish bowl would only cause more stress, so I decided to put him in his tank immedeately... Maybe one day I'll measure him, but to tell you the truth, I don't care wheter he's 3" or 7" - the fact that I own a cool fish like this is rewarding enough!

Azreal: the guy that sold me this fish was truely convinced he was selling a spilo... Thank god he was wrong
And I realise I'll need a very large tank for him one day, but for now, he's chilling in a 15g, which might seem small, but he has more than enough room to acclimatize properly. In a couple of months, I'll get him a larger tank!

He seems to be quite a character: I introduced him some 12 hours ago, and he's already swimming around, chasing his reflection, and, most astonishing, hovering in front of the tank to check me and a couple of friends I had over, out... He's a bit shy when I approach the tank, but I think he'll be one aweful fish once he's gotten used to his new home

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some more (and somewhat better) pics of the little guy:

btw: his tail is a bit chewed up atm, because he used to share his tank with another manueli, who obviously didn't like him him very much... I guess it'll be healed within two weeks, since there's only damage to the fin itself...

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
awesome little fish can't wait to see pics of him as he grows bigger
nice pics

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Judazzz said:
Thanks NIKE

I'm planning to grow this thing to at least 20 inches, so I hope you'll all be around here in 30 years...
Awesome "mistake" Jonas!

IMO, these fish are a little touchy to certain water conditions. They seem to be a little delicate. So, watch for fluctuating PH's, ammonia levels, temp changes and things like that.

Great pick up!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
sweet fish i didnt know what it was but i could tell it wasnt a spilo damn he was off oh well sucks for him good for u

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.