Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in order to make future identification of odd-looking piranha's easier, Xenon came up with the idea to make some sort of a data-base of pictures of all our piranha's (linked to the new species fact sheets), serrasalmus species in particular, since they are the toughest to identify.

What we need is high quality pictures of your fish (blurry ones only add to the confusion): side shots, detail shots of the fins, basically pictures of all the distinguishing (sp?) features of the different species.

There are a couple of rules:

- Maximum file size is 100 kilobytes, preferably smaller (not all of us have broadband...).
- Try to edit the pictures yourself as much as possible (since I'm the one who will collect and add the pictures, and I only have limited time to do this [gotta make some money as well]).
- Maximum image size is 640x480.
- The pictures must be of your own fish!
- Like stated above: only high quality pictures will be used (to avoid further confusion/possible mislabbeling).

Pictures can be sent to [email protected][

Thanks in advance for your contribution!!!

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Good idea, but i dont see how you can ask for good photos and then cop them at a small size. kinda odd dont you think?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judazzz said:
(not all of us have broadband...).
I know that restrictions in file-size will affect the image-size or quality, and that the situation is not ideal. But we can't overlook those who still acces the internet with a modem: atm. that group is still too large to ignore, especially with an effort like this, where the succes depends for a large part on the contribution of visitors...

But I work a lot with digital images, at home as well as for my work, and I believe a combination of a 640x480 pixel file at 100k will give very satisfactory results (large enough)...
Of course this can be changed in the future, but for the moment, it's good enough!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
well if worse comes to worse and we do send in an image that is not fit to the description and it is good I am sure someone will take the effort to reformat it :
:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got a bunch but I am not smart enough to resize them

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just mail anything you think is useful to the adress above, and I'll look if they're suitable.
The reason I made restrictions on file- and picturesize is the load weight for people with a slow connection, but also because a hotmail-account only has 2 megs of space (when everyone starts sending in 1 meg pictures, it's full instantly, and new pics won't arrive...)

I'm willing to resize and edit pics if you don't know how to do it, but I ask anyone who is capable of doing it him/herself, please do (saves me some work
)

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I can resize them. Althought I would like to take credit for this idea, it was actually Judazzz and Innes idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts