Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my fish and all of everyone elses red bellies for that matter have got this fin!

One of mine doesnt have it, it is the one at the back i have cirled it

View attachment 128583

I will take a picture of the piranha and show you,

i am sure that it hasnt been bitten off, but i havent noticed this before? does it mean anything? will it be seen as a "weaker" specimen without this?

It doesnt have any marks just clean scales asif it was never meant to be there!!

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Well..couple of reason.

1. you have 5 pygo in 55g is a no no..they need space to swim and territorial.
2. how often you feed them? should feed them 3-4 time a day with that size.
3. you can down your temp. to 78f..
4. add more hiding place for them.
5. get a bigger tank soon.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
It may even just be a genetic thing... a lot of red bellies are inbred and/or bred for so long that some genetic issues are bound to happen.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Lucouk,

How can you be sure it has not been bitten off. You see this adipose fin does not recover, never.
This property is widely used for research purposes to mark fishes. For example Salmons as juveniles (smolts). The cut fin will never regenerate and even after several years the adults can be dístinguished as marked.

BTW cutting this fin has no impacts on fish what so ever.

Harry

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah well i only have 4 piranha now as you may well have read in one of my posts that 1 died!!

I always think i still have 4 red bellies but i have 3 and a caribe!

My tank is not too small at the moment 2PiRaNhA~2FuRrY

my fish are like 2 inches maybe 3 and they are in a UK 55GALLON that is a big tank for there size. I know some people like to have a tank for life but i am 18 and this was all i could afford the fish are dwarfed by it!

And i feed my fish only once a day at about 11 pm

Every fish in my tank has an established territory and i dont even have fin nipping anymore or any fighting. Plus a little secret that i still have my silver dollar in there since day 1! (i have a 10g hospital tank set up though incase of any trouble )(if see visable stress)

i do need a bigger tank though

Harry thanks for the info!

I only assume it hasnt been bitten off because it is clean!! It looks asif it was never there, They have chewed each others fins before but not much, it doesnt seem to bother him!

( i will confess that when i first saw this i looked at every possible post that said................................................

pacu or red belly haha)

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
best thing to do to stop then being cannablistic at that age is get about 10 neons or something that they can chase and use there aggression..................................when i have my babies i use to feed them when i woke up, at lunch, at 5 pm and them when i went to bed..........................

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The adipose fin was probably bitten off at an early age. Missing that fin will not effect the health of your fish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried feeding them more than once a day (obviousely i want my fish to be big) but they dont seem interested and merely pic at there food. If i wait and feed them when i get in at 11pm they are waiting for there meal and come up to the top of the tank

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
yeah no need to feed 4 times a day... esp. if they are just wasting it.. but the one missing a find should be fine. and no ur tank is fine for now just be prepared for an upgrade.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Lucouk,

How can you be sure it has not been bitten off. You see this adipose fin does not recover, never.
This property is widely used for research purposes to mark fishes. For example Salmons as juveniles (smolts). The cut fin will never regenerate and even after several years the adults can be dístinguished as marked.

BTW cutting this fin has no impacts on fish what so ever.

Harry
thats interesting...i never new it wouldnt grow back

good to know its not gonna affect its health tho...good luck with the p Lucouk!

an upgrade is a must btw

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
but you got time when they are still around 2 inches.. u still have a few months .. but they grow fast.. so keep it in mind u do need a upgrade.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Feed them till they get a bulge in there belly, Dont over feed so they puke or cant swim properly. The fin will be there, All P's have something different then the next for the most part. should be fine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Genetics sucks?
umm...
Bad genes?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Feed them till they get a bulge in there belly, Dont over feed so they puke or cant swim properly. The fin will be there, All P's have something different then the next for the most part. should be fine.
actually dont let them bulge you want there belly to be straight not bulged and not concaved is the best way..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
actually dont let them bulge you want there belly to be straight not bulged and not concaved is the best way..
[/quote]
Actually, most would say to powerfeed, thus "bulge" until they are atleast 2.5".

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
[/quote]
Actually, most would say to powerfeed, thus "bulge" until they are atleast 2.5".
[/quote]

i guess i disagree. as long as u keep them fed so they dont get canabalistic but i dont prefer the bulging. imo.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
[/quote]
[/quote]

i guess i disagree. as long as u keep them fed so they dont get canabalistic but i dont prefer the bulging. imo.
[/quote]
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

[/quote]

i seen ur posts around u seem to know what ur talking about too.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Definatly feed them 3 times a day. think about it, they are still baby's. when u have kids, you think you are just going to feed your babies once?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts