Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Have you noticed that there is a definate "fashion" with regards piranha. When i first started to read posts on pfish.net everybody wanted caribe. It was the must have p that season. Since then i've seen the rhom come and go in popularity, (although large, 12"+ rhoms are always popular). The current pygo of choice appears to be either piraya or ternetzi. And with serras it appears to have been rhoms, elongatus, brandtii and now geryi, in that order. Now i'm in the UK, we don't have the choice that you Americans have, although that's changing, with the help of the UKPIRANHACLUB etc. My enthusiasm has really grown with the availability of so many species. What to keep next ? So any ideas as to this years "must have" ?
Ta.
Oh to be so fickle.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You're right. I don't believe the word 'fickle' was necessary though.

I just got a piraya. Not because it was in fashion, but because it is a beautiful, semi-rare fish.

I think increased availability of different species is concurrent with the fish being "in fashion". Add to that more people are realizing that it is better to have a reputable salesperson safely transport a fish right to your door than to settle for the best fish at your LFS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What's next ?

You don't know ?

GREEN Nats , what else ?

You can have them very easy, like my self...

All you have to do is : don' t clear´the front of your glass!

In less then 2 weeks , you gonna have green nats...algae help you !

Sorry guys, only a joke, but this was my first thinking after I have seen the green nat.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
scarfish said:
I just got a piraya. Not because it was in fashion, but because it is a beautiful, semi-rare fish.
agreed ..i don't think people buy them because there in fashion ..they buy them cause they like the fish and there look...

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i think it does come down to availibility a lot, a couple of years ago piraya were very expensive and i mean expensive now though they are becoming more popular as more of them are being imported .i also think cariba due to being in such small avialibilty will not be as widely bought this year.yellow natts are also very popular and brandti are becoming popular also due to being brought in with piraya .i think the later two will be most sought after this year and possibly geryi also as people are shoaling them
dixon

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't mean to offend anybody,
. Agreed piraya are totally beautiful. I wanted one, but was unsure whether it would cause problems with the caribe that i really wanted. As for "fickel", that refers to me. To be honest, i'm kinda glad i got some peoples backs up. Shows you're as passionate as i am, about our hobby.
Ta.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I was going to get a marginatus but they went out of style.

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
the green natts
I want so bad
Hey Raptor you should try to get urs to breed so u can sell me some babies

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally I wanted another cariba tank, but nobody had any so I decided to buy a shoal I never had or a few others have done. A shoal of ternetzi would be my next project once I find nicely priced tank.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
If i can get another it could be a possability. I know a guy who has 3- 3inchers. Maybe in a year or two. He could have some to sell.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
People just enjoy having things that few others have, but many people want. Rarity of fish does play a large roll in many of your P buying decisions(im sure that reports of aggression is also very important). Im sure we all guilty of this. When scrolling through Rons stock list, how many of you skip natts, small rhoms and immediately try to figure out where in the heck you are gonna find room for a new tank of geryi, a HUGE rhom, or a school of ternz/piraya?

Its always nice to have something that not many other people have. It all goes back to the idea that if you deprive a population of something they want it more. Then when you have more then enough, they dont want it anymore.

Take Brandtii for instance. About 5-6 months ago sellers could not get enough. I remember when clay got 2 they were sold in ONE HOUR. Nowadays we see ron with a few that has gone unsold for a few weeks now.

People just love things that are considered rare. I am no different. That is one of the biggest reasons that I decided to start a spilo school, and also why I will never sell my S. Altuvei.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
It basically depends on your own interest. One day your into cichlids, next month community fishes, then piranhas, after that salt water. Theres never a fashion or a trend in owning a certain fish. (besides having monster 12"+)

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Green Natts and all times favorites Cariba, Piraya and Rhoms!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.