Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I lost my big RBP a few weeks ago (I had posted about the symptoms and events leading up to the death). Not knowing what went wrong was driving me so I opened her up and now I REALLY don’t know what happened. Please keep in mind I performed this amateur necropsy without my dissection kit (could NOT find it), post hurricane Fiona, with no power, and nine months pregnant. It wasn't the best job. Turns out my big fishy (about 8”) was a lady. Pretty sure that’s a butt load of eggs in there. Saw that and assumed she was eggbound. But as I dissected more dorsally, there was this strange substance under her spine. Looked almost like emulsified tissue. It had no odor like I would expect from active infection or necrosis. From what I could tell, none of the organs were damaged. I’ve attached photos, hopefully they show what I’m talking about clear enough for an expert opinion. Any ideas on what this could be, and more importantly, how to prevent it from happening again? Her RBP tank mate seems to have been traumatized by this whole ordeal - very skittish, hides 24/7, and hasn’t eaten in weeks. So far no swelling of the body like the other one. Does anyone have any ideas?
Food Ingredient Jaw Animal product Cuisine

Food Water Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

Food Ingredient Jaw Recipe Animal product

Food Jaw Ingredient Gesture Finger

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can't speak to the necropsy results, but behaviorally, it's not unusual for a piranha suddenly finding itself to be the last in the tank, to become much more skittish and reclusive, without having the calming effect of other P's around. I've had the eating decrease quite a bit too, since the remaining P no longer is in competition with the departed P for food, nor is stimulated by "feeding frenzies". "Weeks" without eating seems rather extreme though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts