Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought some 2x4's and i am about to start building my stand.

just thought i would let u guys know. i will post some pics of the frame

(im not sure if this belongs under this topic, but as it refers to my piranha tank i thought id put it here)

sorry if it is the wrong forum

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
you will be moved to equiptment soon.
anyway once built you will have to get some pics up i am planning on building a new stand and hood for my new tank soon and have plans but also want ideas.
dixon

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
DiXoN said:
you will be moved to equiptment soon.
:nod:

Good luck with the stand and let us know how it goes. Get some pics up when you can. People are always wanting to know good plans for DIY stands.

~Dj

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are the pics as promised...

this fist pic is just of the boards after i cut them down to the sizes.

going from top to bottom

1 are (8) 17inch boards used to connect all the edges

2 are (6) 28inch boards used as the vertical boards holding up the stand

3 are (4) 75inch boards used for the horizontal boards running across the stand

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with EMJAY. The tank will basically have its weight on the outer rail, wich is only held by the nails/screews. If it gives, even a little, the vertical studs remaining will start to apply pressure locally onto the bottom of your tank. Eventually, it will crack the bottom of the tank. You could throw some 2x4's vertically between the lower and upper long vertical studs to add some compression strength. I would say 3 on the front and 3 on the back. Make sure they are a nice tight fit. They will bear the weight. Compressions strength is huge, you won't have any problems if you add the 6 members.

RL

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ralphinnj said:
I agree with EMJAY. The tank will basically have its weight on the outer rail, wich is only held by the nails/screews. If it gives, even a little, the vertical studs remaining will start to apply pressure locally onto the bottom of your tank. Eventually, it will crack the bottom of the tank. You could throw some 2x4's vertically between the lower and upper long vertical studs to add some compression strength. I would say 3 on the front and 3 on the back. Make sure they are a nice tight fit. They will bear the weight. Compressions strength is huge, you won't have any problems if you add the 6 members.

RL
after reading emjays post i went and looked at the frame to see what i could add to it.

i decided against trying to add thick bolts in boards and i decided that i could just add some more 2x4's between the top and bottom.

i have even already measured it to see if i had enough wood for this task and i do. i am going to do that tomorrow

that way the only way my stand would collapse is if the weight was SOOOOO much that it could crush a 21inch 2x4 vertically. which is not going to happen.

good thinking ralphinnj....great minds think alike, but i thought of it first
lol

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
good thing i didn't catch you too late.

and yes wood is wet. if you dont know what dry wood is think about that dry crispy stuff in the fire. now think if you threw some scrap 2x4's in...
i dont know how to really explain it, but i do know that when wood is dry it has warped and given as much as it can, where when it's wet it can still twist or warp bend or break. i would prefer using dry wood as i know its the more practicul way. but not everyone can wait or find dry wood or has a kiln they can throw it in for a few years.

dry wood is usually a lot older.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
oh. post pics of your improvement, and if your not certain then dont glue and screw any of it yet and let us peak at it.

oh btw, you are using glue and screws? or at LEAST screws, right?

**and make sure you throw a piece of MDF or plywood over the top, treat it like an acrilic stand. it will help keep everything flush or not exagerated.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.