Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first time here. I'm 17 and just got my first piranhas- pygocentrus cariba and serrasalmus compressus. I just needed a wee bit of info. First of all, if I put too much food in the tank will they over eat? How fast do they grow and when do you move them up to the next bigger size tank? Also I don't know how stupid a question this is but can two different piranha genus' breed? Please respond guys!!!
****A$$ pinches and Sour grapes****

Baraccuda
}--]--D<

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
do NOT mix the two. you aren't to mix serras and pygos. as for the food, if you put to much in they wont finish it all and the left overs will begin to rot and release ammonia into the water. that's a bad thing. after they're done eating, net out the remaining food.

for growth, pygos grow about one inch a month until they hit the 5-6" mark. then they slow down to about 1/2" a month i believe. not too sure about the compressus, but they stay relatively small. [piranhas are not sexually dimorphic. in other words, you can't tell male from female.]

but you definitely need to seperate the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hyphen said:
do NOT mix the two. you aren't to mix serras and pygos. as for the food, if you put to much in they wont finish it all and the left overs will begin to rot and release ammonia into the water. that's a bad thing. after they're done eating, net out the remaining food.

for growth, pygos grow about one inch a month until they hit the 5-6" mark. then they slow down to about 1/2" a month i believe. not too sure about the compressus, but they stay relatively small. [piranhas are not sexually dimorphic. in other words, you can't tell male from female.]

but you definitely need to seperate the two.
[snapback]931344[/snapback]​
Thankx for the info! but why cant they be together? could they breed if they were two dif sexes?
****A$$ Pinches &SOur grapes****
Baraccuda
}--]--D<

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
the serra species is one of very aggressive nature and will feed on the fins of ur pygo and eventually end up killing it . it may work but it may not.. in most cases a serra and piygo mix has resulted in death especially if the tank isnt huge. and u need two sexes to breed
but im sure u meant to species. there is no evidence of species interbreeding with others.. reds wit reds caribe wit caribe and so forth is how it happens

·
Registered
813 Posts
One of them will kill the other.

You cannot mix serrasalmus species with pygocentrus species. It's hard enough to get one speicies to breed, let alone two different ones.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, definitely dont try to breed them haha, you'll end up with one dead fish and one injured fish, as for your food your piranhas will stop eating when theyre full but dont leave the food in there scoop it out because it will produce ammonia and screw up your water parameters.

·
Let&#39;s split up gang&#33;
3,693 Posts
Dude, you've got 4 new threads and only 6 posts. Maybe you shoulda combined all those threads to one?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If your wanting to breed piranhas, from what I understand, you think you need a pretty big tank. What size tank do you have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts