Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share a few shots I took at my job. I am a broadcast systems engineer for QVC and we are in the middle of a major upgrade of our production systems, we are going HD.

Enjoy:

View attachment 128755
View attachment 128766
These are shots of our new camera/lense setups. The lenses are Canon and camera bodies are Sony. The camer uses a hybrid copper/fiber cable. The fibers are single mode, one going from the camera to the control unit, and one from the control unit to the camera. The fibers run FULL bandwidth 10Gbps in each direction to accomodate massive fram/resolution rates and many channels of return video and comunication back to the camera head.

View attachment 128767
These are the camera control units or CCU's. The multiplex the communication signals to send to the head, and compress the signal down to 1.485 Gbps which is the HD production standard.

View attachment 128759
These are the production switchers. This is what switches the various sources and keys in the graphics.
View attachment 128760
This is the switcher head that lives in the control room. It's like a giant keyboard, the signals are processed in the frame above, but this panel is used to control the frame

View attachment 128757
These are the video servers. They record and playback the video clips we broadcast.

View attachment 128761
View attachment 128762
These are shots of the computer floor in our equipment room. It is 18" deep and filled to the top in some places. We have over 400 miles of cable throughout the facility

View attachment 128763
View attachment 128764
View attachment 128764
This is a new monitor wall we are building. It uses DLP screens to monitor the various sources the technical director can switch to. The middle will be good old CRT's for the preview, and program signals. NOTHIN is a true as a CRT monitor and it is the ONLY kind we use to monitor critical signals

View attachment 128756
Finally, this is master control. This system controls the dishes and switching to the dishes that broadcast out to the world. There are 3 different QC and monitoring systems here. They alert us of any problems and capture any faults that set off alarms and page us.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
yo my girl loves qvc, pm me see if we can "work something out"

·
5,336 Posts
HOME SHOPPING IN HIGH DEF?!?! wow... what is this world coming to? you dont have any idea what size in total storage/processor power is housed in that place do ya? and who manufactures your servers and computers? also 10Gbps from the camera, and you said it is compressed to 1.485gbps for broadcast, does that mean it reduces the quality of the picture the camera actually captures, or?

thats awesome man, sounds like you have a badass job, basically working inside a super-computer!
maybe a shoutout on qvc for all us p-fury people that watch TV at odd hours of the morning?

·
8,405 Posts
Sh*t .....now all that crap i buy at 4:30 in the morning piss ass wasted will look twice as good

Its all over for me
HAHA... yup.. thats the idea...

·
5,336 Posts
wow, thats amazing... yeah, i have seen some pretty amazing TVs and such in people houses, but seeing what those cameras actually capture before the quality is reduced
... lots of the motocross vids now are shot in high def as well, but unless you have the right equipment you would probibally never truly apreciate it (tv, hddvd player, all the expensive ass optical cables etc..) i was jokin about the shoutout, cause i am sure when you rake in the money they do, from drunk people with poor judgement, they dont tolerate anything.... how many people screen calls, cause i am sure prank calls are placed more than actual orders

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
some shopping shows are so badly done I thought they just had some idiot up there with a basic video camera.... HD shopping network who would have guessed they would come out with that?

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
$20k per minute.

That's cool.

I'd still rather just be Bill Gates, though.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Cool stuff I always like to see what other people do for a living.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
yikes that is some messy raised floor..

i wish i was allowed to take pictures of the data center here at my work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts