Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wanted to show a couple pics of my p's. This site is awesome and has so much knowledge and wanted to know if I was doing this right so far or not.

They are about 5" I got them at dime-size 5 months ago or so. I do a 50% at least once a week (sometimes twice) along with 1 or 2-20% wc's. It all depends on time constraints.

Feeding- The bulk is raw shrimp and whitefish fillets from the store. I also give mussels, octopus, krill and catfish nuggets from time to time. Is there anything else I should add? What's the best to give?

Just the last 3 weeks they are coming out of their shell. They used to be so timid but now they are pretty brave and don't move when anyone walks by. They'll come to the front of the tank and chase my finger. I used a powerhead for 2 months (keeping it on about 3-4 hours a day) and they loved playing in it but then stopped for some reason so I took it out.

Any comments on what to do moreof/less of/feeding etc would be greatly appreciated.

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
they look very healthy with that colour

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Nice reds. You are doing a great job!!!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
they look really healthy.....keep up the good work.....

they have such a nice red color a humerical spot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. They are in a 75g tank. I know from reading here it says 3 max in a 75g but I bought 4 thinking one would get taken care of but noone died so I'm stuck with 4 for now.

I was wondering if I was doing anything right because it seems I was reading others having rbp's were bigger after 5 months than mine are so I was worried I was doing something wrong.

Their diet ok?

Sorry about the larger pics before, I uploaded the wrong ones. I edited and put the resized ones in.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I think 4 in a 75 gallon is just fine.

As to their growth... how often and to what percentage are you performing water changes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think 4 in a 75 gallon is just fine.

As to their growth... how often and to what percentage are you performing water changes?
I would say for the most part it's 1-50%wc and 1-20% for the most part. It depends on time constraints and what I feed but I do one of these weekly...

2-50% wc

1-50%, 1or2-20%

along with probably 2-3 5g wc's to clean up uneaten food or shells.

Is this too much?

How often should I be feeding them? I only feed once a day and started that last month. Are they still too small to go to once a day?

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'm not catching your drift.

How much water are you changing out and how often are you changing it?

(20%.... 50%... weekly, every other week...)

Oh, I think I catch what you're saying now... I just reread it.

I believe you're saying that you do anywhere between 20% - 50% water change weekly.
(If you use a Python, it doesn't take much more time to do a 50% than a 20%...)

No, that's not too much.

Rule of thumb is... ya don't wanna do more than a 50% water change...
(Although in extreme situations, I've done as much as 80%... but that was for special reasons...)

You can actually safely do 50% water change every 8 hours if the situation calls for it
(Like a bloom of some sort, or a parameter explosion...)

But I think in most cases, a 50% water change weekly is ideal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not catching your drift.

How much water are you changing out and how often are you changing it?

(20%.... 50%... weekly, every other week...)

Oh, I think I catch what you're saying now... I just reread it.

I believe you're saying that you do anywhere between 20% - 50% water change weekly.
(If you use a Python, it doesn't take much more time to do a 50% than a 20%...)

No, that's not too much.

Rule of thumb is... ya don't wanna do more than a 50% water change...
(Although in extreme situations, I've done as much as 80%... but that was for special reasons...)

You can actually safely do 50% water change every 8 hours if the situation calls for it
(Like a bloom of some sort, or a parameter explosion...)

But I think in most cases, a 50% water change weekly is ideal.
Sorry bout not being able to be clearer.

For instance, in 1 week, this is what I do for a wc... Change 50% on Monday....20% on Wednesday and 50% or 20% on Saturday.

I've had cichlids for about 10 years and that's about the schedule I follow for them. Especially when having a flowerhorn,jag or festae etc that were messier.

Is it normal for rbp's to be so scared of the light when young? It took 4 months for them to not go run to the hills whenever I turned the light on. The only way I got them finally over it was to turn the ceiling fan light on instead. I would hide behind the corner and reach around and turn it on. After a couple weeks I could turn it on in front of them and now I can turn the light on their tank on.

When I walk by the front of the tank, is it normal for them to go to the front and just stare at me and turn their heads and bodies following me? They don't go nuts or up and down like cichlids. Just sit and stare at me. If I go up to them they don't move or budge. Just sit there and stare at me like they want to eat me or something. They'll only move to follow my finger around the tank (on the outside of the tank I mean)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
wish i had your p's. sounds like you got a pair that isnt a bunch chicken shi*ts. they are usually very skiddish fish but sounds like you got some good ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wish i had your p's. sounds like you got a pair that isnt a bunch chicken shi*ts. they are usually very skiddish fish but sounds like you got some good ones.
The first 3 months they were exactly like you said tho. Well, the first week they were terrors and weren't afraid of anything then all of a sudden I couldn't even be in the same room without them going spastic slamming the glass and trying to hide behind each other.

So I put more plants and big rocks in there and they were always inches away from "safety". I left it like that for a month, never turned the aquarium light on, just the overhead ceiling fan which is pretty bright.

After a month I took away 1 hiding spot each week when I would do a wc. For the last month they've only had 2 plants and even when I turn the aquarium light on they just sit and stare at me. They can be right at the front of the tank and they'll not move.

When I feed now, there are 2 of them, the 2 bosses, as soon as I turn out their light they know it's about feeding time. As soon as I walk up to the tank they start to the top middle where I feed them each time. It's like they forget about being scared and I can't even put my fingers in there because they hit it so fast. The other 2 won't go up first but will follow the big ones.

I don't know if this will help you and you probably know a heck of a lot more about piranhas than I do, since this is my first batch of p's. I just followed what I do with cichlids but lengthened the time is all.

What is kind of scaring me is that when I gravel vac, they won't move for me even if I bump them lightly. I'm too scared of them to touch their tail and get them moving. What do you guys do to make them move without hurting them?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
They look very nice, it looks like you are doing a good job with them. I'm really liking their humeral spots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They look very nice, it looks like you are doing a good job with them. I'm really liking their humeral spots.
Thank you for the compliment.

You're the 2nd person who's mentioned their humeral spot. Noob question time, what is that?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts

You're the 2nd person who's mentioned their humeral spot. Noob question time, what is that?
[/quote]
A humeral spot is the black spot just past their gill plates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh ok. Thanks for the info. All RBP's are supposed to have this then?

It takes a great load off my shoulders hearing you guys say that they are fine. I've been worried about it and didn't know for sure with this being my first foray into piranhas.

I'm going to be getting a black rhom from George at SA hopefully this Thursday or Friday. Hope that works out as good as these cute guys have!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh ok. Thanks for the info. All RBP's are supposed to have this then?
[/quote]
No, most P. nattereri do not exhibit humeral spots, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts