Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi! i'm francis from the philippines.

i just bought 5 red bellies, about an inch and a half and they are in a 50-gallon tank.

is 50 gal. ok for 5 red bellies?
i give them beef liver, goldfish and guppy as food, is this ok?
do piranhas need specific things in their aquarium because my tank is very bare. (just over head filter) :sad:

there are many piranha enthusiasts here in the philippines however its illegal to own them as pets. the legal and most loved fishes here in the philippines are the flower horn, arowanas, red tailed cat fish and arapaima.

thanks for the info!

peace!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Oi kabayan! For the mean time, your tank might be fine. But when they get bigger you need at least 20 gallons/per fish. Didnt you put any plants and gravel first before you introduced your fish? Make sure that you have cycled your water before putting them in.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Goldfish and other feeders are ok. But dont make them a habit. Sometimes feeders can bring diseases to your beloved fish. Try to feed them a variety of food like shrimp, pellets, seeds, & frozen bloodworms. By the way, a senior member here said to stay away from liver because its too much oil content. By the way, you can avail the frozen bloodworms at CARTIMAR, at the back. I think its 60 pesosper pack.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pare, thanks for all the info. when i got my rb's, i had the water cycled first for a few minutes but then i poured some de-chlorinator, as instructioned by the person whom i got if from. they are ok now. its just that im still contemplating on what to put in the tank. maybe a clay pot to serve as their hiding place/house? or should i put fresh plants? the space might be a problem if i put too much of something.
somebody told me that liver makes their bellies even more red, but i have given them that twice only today.
whats the best food you can recommend that's accessible? cartimar is unfortunately too far for me.
by the way, where are you from?

peace

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I would suggest plain plants so it gives you more oxygen, but dont over-plant or over-decorate your tank. Just the right amount of vegetation so your fish can enjoy the swimming space of your tank. Sometimes too much accessories can clog you filter. Another thing, dont keep your tank lights 24/7. So your P's can have some time to rest. They're not very fond of bright lights. As the senior member said, "the lights are for you, not for your fish."

Have a good day!

·
Death is fair to everyone.
4,316 Posts
Welcome, Shrimp and crayfish are the best for color. Catfish is very good for bulking them up. Only give red meats as a treat once and a while.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good to see another pinoy in the hobby. How did you get p's in the PI? That's cool, oh and welcome to the site you'll learn everything you need to know about keeping p's here.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
pinoy Posted on Oct 11 2003, 11:09 AM
i just bought 5 red bellies, about an inch and a half and they are in a 50-gallon tank.

do piranhas need specific things in their aquarium because my tank is very bare. (just over head filter)

there are many piranha enthusiasts here in the philippines however its illegal to own them as pets. the legal and most loved fishes here in the philippines are the flower horn, arowanas, red tailed cat fish and arapaima.

thanks for the info!

peace!
Greetings and welcome. I'm curious to see a photograph of your "pirana". The reason for this, I have followed for a number of years the "piranha loose in the Philippines river" news articles and looking at the photos from that data, all of them are pacu and being described as pirana. I'm not doubting your ID of your fish, but certainly make me feel a lot better knowing you are getting real piranas and not pacu.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
camotekid said:
I would suggest plain plants so it gives you more oxygen, but dont over-plant or over-decorate your tank. Just the right amount of vegetation so your fish can enjoy the swimming space of your tank. Sometimes too much accessories can clog you filter. Another thing, dont keep your tank lights 24/7. So your P's can have some time to rest. They're not very fond of bright lights. As the senior member said, "the lights are for you, not for your fish."

Have a good day!
thanks bro!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda99_300ex said:
pinoy said:
pare, thanks for all the info. when i got my rb's, i had the water cycled first for a few minutes but then i poured some de-chlorinator, as instructioned by the person whom i got if from.
so you just put the water in, waited a couple minutes and added the fish??
it was out of my hands already. i had no choice but to take them in already. the seller delivered the tank to me and the fishes on the same hour! you see, its illegal to have that here so it was pretty much of a hush-hush. they seem to be ok now, eating well..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JReezelle said:
Good to see another pinoy in the hobby. How did you get p's in the PI? That's cool, oh and welcome to the site you'll learn everything you need to know about keeping p's here.
thanks!
i got them from a friend who owns a pet shop, who knows a breeder of rb's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hastatus said:
pinoy Posted on Oct 11 2003, 11:09 AM

do piranhas need specific things in their aquarium because my tank is very bare. (just over head filter)

thanks for the info!

peace!
Greetings and welcome. I'm curious to see a photograph of your "pirana". The reason for this, I have followed for a number of years the "piranha loose in the Philippines river" news articles and looking at the photos from that data, all of them are pacu and being described as pirana. I'm not doubting your ID of your fish, but certainly make me feel a lot better knowing you are getting real piranas and not pacu.
i'm sure they are piranha's. i got them from a reliable source, and a friend most importantly. will try to take a pic of them and post it right away.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
I also wonder where you guys get your Ps in the Philippines. I was just there a week ago and never got around to meeting 2 of PFury members that live there. I've been to 2 different fish store (even a zoo at Tagaytay) and all they had were huge Pacus. A cousin of mine who owns a 15" SnakeHead told me that just like everywhere else, Ps can be boght and sold to whomever, as long as you have the knowledge on who/how to get 'em. But pls provide the pics. I would love to see a real P actually from the PI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YO, whattup... I'm new here... n'i think this site friggin' crazy man...

anyway im flip and ive got 7 Red Bellys piranhas like 4 inches or sum'm, swimmin'

around in a 38 gallon tank... i wanna get a bigger tank, im lookin' at 90 G's, haha

hardcore fish terms, yah anyway i wanna jump from 38 to 90... and uh, gyeah, if

anyone knows where to get any other types of piranhas other than the red belly,

gimme a shout or juss leave a msg on this mofo. Aight well, i'll take some pics

n'put em' up but shigga man they don't compare to any of the Piranhas here,

DAYAAM!! AIght Peaaaaaaaaace the fugg out....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts