Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Highly recommended between 6.5-7.5...i keep mine at 7 since i like this number!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
keeping the Ph steady is more imporant than the level. If the Ph is jumping around all over the place it can really phuck up your fish.

·
Registered
531 Posts
no problems at 8 but never eggs of reds , i think 6,5 is a good number but yo shoud siltre with tourb and the wate become yellows

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They like it stable. You can forget about "optimal" pH levels, the best thing to do is keep it at the level that the tank tries to be at, unless it is to one extreme or another. Optimal pH is going to require a lot of fiddling and if you're not careful you can stress out your fish. And they also don't need it to be "optimal", stability is by far more important.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Neoplasia said:
They like it stable. You can forget about "optimal" pH levels, the best thing to do is keep it at the level that the tank tries to be at, unless it is to one extreme or another. Optimal pH is going to require a lot of fiddling and if you're not careful you can stress out your fish. And they also don't need it to be "optimal", stability is by far more important.

7.0 is considered the ideal PH balance for Ps. 6.5 would be considered neutral zone.

·
Registered
531 Posts
piranhas prefer a acidic Ph like 5 at 6,5, and like allother amazonian species fish
7 is not the better but they cn stay alive. :
:

·
18,487 Posts
memen said:
piranhas prefer a acidic Ph like 5 at 6,5, and like allother amazonian species fish
7 is not the better but they cn stay alive. :
:
Adicedic PH of 5 or 6??? Where and who told you that?!?!?!

Also, did you mean tropical.. not Amazonian??

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Croz said:
what can you do to raise pH ?
Add crushed coral or filter media designed for East-African cichlid (which require hard water) tanks to your canister filter.....

But, like Neo said before, messing with your pH level is way more dangerous than a slightly too high or too low pH-value. Piranha's are hardy fish and will survive in quite a range of different pH-levels. But changing the pH too often, or too abrubtly, can kill your fish very fast!!! As long as it won't reach abnormal levels, don't mess with it...

·
Registered
527 Posts
i think as long as the tanks filtration is matured ((good bacteria), the PH levels should be ok.
if it aint broke, dont fix it!!

·
18,487 Posts
lastyboy said:
if it aint broke, dont fix it!!
True, even though your PH levels might not even be close to normal or perfect, as long as your fish have adapted to the perimeters, then there is no other reason to tamper with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
PH is very important in my opinion.

Fish that are older and from the wild are not nearly as adaptable as younger or bred fish.

Short term variations in PH within a range of say 1.0 does not seem to have any impact on fish at all, in my time with piranha, but prolonged exposure to either too high or too low ph values causes severe problems with older fish that I have imported.

Many fish keepers that maintain discus and many other soft water fish have no problems at all maintaining their tanks at optimal PH levels for discus, which I feel are far more sensitive than piranha, and these PH levels are generally much lower than needed for piranha.

I do agree with what others have said about LARGE PH swings and they should be avoided at all costs, but I also feel that if you are the reason the fish is not in the wild maybe you should take as much care to provide the same/similar water conditions as the fish would have in the wild, obviously the most suitable water for the fish.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my ph has always been 7.5,i did try dropping it a few years ago with ph adjuster but as the water is very hard i would have had to add softener also just too many chemicals.i just keep my ph stable now @7.5 which is the max but the p's are fine
dixon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts