Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PH in my tank went pretty low, down to about 6.1. My tap water is around 7.4 so to avoid sending my fish into PH shock I used quite a bit of PH down in the water change to bring the source water down. The PH is around 6.5 now however when I tested the rest of the parameters the amonia was way up, around 2.0 - 3.0.

I'm not showing any nitrIte and nitrates are around 20 or so.

I will check the tank a few times a day to see what happens, but is there anything I can do?? I have NEVER had an Ammonia problem before.

Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There are quite a few products on the market that have another function but will spike your ammonia levels. I am not sure about "PH up" but you may want to read the fine print on the label.

If you want to increase your PH, you may want to consider adding limestone, crushed coral, or any highly calcareous material in the tank (or filter). If you have a rock and are unsure if it is calcareous (thus increasing PH), just scrape the surface and put a few drops of vinegar on the scrape. If it foams, you got yuourself a natural PH increaser! I think this would be easier than adding chemicals every week.

·
8,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is my tap water is High PH so I need to bring it down. As far as the tank being low, I have a lot of plants with constantly dying leaves wich I belive is the main culprit.

It's PH down that has me worried... can PH down cause an ammonia spike??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OK, I reread your original post and think I got it. Your aquarium PH when mature is 6.1 and your tap water is 7.4.

To avoid shock, you have chosen to lower the PH of the 'new' water close to 6.1

Would it not be easier to raise your mature water to 7.4? If you add the limestone or coral mentioned above, your mature water would go up to 7.4 (depending on how much you put in), then your new water would already be at the same PH (no variations, therefore no shock).

I think the bigger question is what is making your PH drop so low after you put the tapwater in. You must have some acidic rocks/gravel/decorations in the tank.

A PH of 7.4 is fine for Piranhas. My tapwater PH is about the same as your and my Ps are going on 6 years with no probs or PH changes.

As for your chemical PH product causing ammonia spikes, its possible. If it is not on the fine print, you may have to email the company to find out. Uneaten food rotting in the tank can also cause an ammonia spike so check behing decorations. Good luck!

G

·
Civic Dis, after reading your question I thought to myself, "Sounds like my water.", then I remembered where you live.

Despite it's high pH from the tap when it's clean, your tap water is probably softer (low KH) than you think. This makes the water very vulnerable to drops in pH with even very low concentrations of acids.

You may need to raise the carbonate hardness of your water following some of Natt King's suggestions.

Because I haven't raised the hardness of my water, I absolutely have to do a minimum 20% water change on all my tanks every week or the pH plummets below 6.0.

·
8,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK ammonia is going down fast, it was between 1.0 and .50 tonight. The PH has also gone up a little to around 6.8, thats up .2 from yesterday.

My Cariba has developed a cloudy eye. It is only in 1 eye so is it possible that it is a result of the water, or something else like an injury??

·
8,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullsnake said:
Civic Dis, after reading your question I thought to myself, "Sounds like my water.", then I remembered where you live.

Despite it's high pH from the tap when it's clean, your tap water is probably softer (low KH) than you think. This makes the water very vulnerable to drops in pH with even very low concentrations of acids.

You may need to raise the carbonate hardness of your water following some of Natt King's suggestions.

Because I haven't raised the hardness of my water, I absolutely have to do a minimum 20% water change on all my tanks every week or the pH plummets below 6.0.
[snapback]849688[/snapback]​
I just tested my GH, and KH and heres what I got...

KH is VERY LOW only took 1 drop to see the yellow shift, and 2 or 3 to completly turn it...

GH is VERY HIGH!! it took like 15 drops to see a color shift.

What do I need to do?? I am lost when it comes to hardness

G

·
Civic Disobedience said:
I just tested my GH, and KH and heres what I got...

KH is VERY LOW only took 1 drop to see the yellow shift, and 2 or 3 to completly turn it...

GH is VERY HIGH!! it took like 15 drops to see a color shift.

What do I need to do?? I am lost when it comes to hardness
[snapback]850322[/snapback]​
I've never tried it, but some people are adding crushed coral (a marine substrate) to their aquarium because it's a Calcium Carbonate bearing substance. This increases their KH.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Civic Disobedience said:
My Cariba has developed a cloudy eye. It is only in 1 eye so is it possible that it is a result of the water, or something else like an injury??
[snapback]850297[/snapback]​
That's usually the first sign of rapidly decling pH (in addition to excessive slime). Measure the KH of your tap water. If that value is fine, then there is something in your tank that is rotting or you need to increase your water changes. If your tap water KH is consistent with your tank's, then you need to find a way to buffer it, either through crushed coral, baking soda, or commercially available buffers.

A very low pH can knock off your nitrifiers therefore resulting in a ammonia/nitrite spike.

·
Slim Diggler
1,946 Posts
I have a question? Im having alomst the same problems with my tank

PH= 6.4
Ammonia= 2.5
nitrite= .05
water temp= 82

What do I need to do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts