Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I might be getting a "large gold piranha" from my LFS tomorrow. It's a 5-6" spilopleura, i'm looking for personal experiences regarding the agressiveness of spilos. I want a fish that will eat in front of me almost as soon as i drop its food in. I know it's a flip of the coin on the fish's personality and all but please just tell me how your fish acts. thanks

P.S. he'll be living in a 55 gallon tank

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
spilos are awesome fish. I have a 1" spilo and he is already nailing feeders as soon as he see's them. they have beautiful colors and are very aggressive. Your tank is just right for him. I'd say get him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys. I'm either going to get him and put him in my 55 or buy 3 small spilos to put in it. i dunno, i wish i knew the personality of the fish before i bought it. anybody else with experiences feel free to post.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have an 8" spilo...hez in a 55gl...and u gotta love them...during feeding time...he goes up the top and waits for food......i don't have any experience w/ a shoal of Spilos...but i've heard good things about it...if u decided to keep a shoal...keep in mind that these are very aggressive toward each other...expect nipped fins...even death(s)

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
a 55 is too small in the long run, even for 3 spilos. A smal school or 3 5-6 inchers will require at least a tank 75-100 gallons. Even if bought as babies, they will grow about an inch a month. A 55 just will not do for 3.
1 in a 55 for life would be perfect and very happy.
~Dj

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah, i dunno what to do. i'm gonna go check up on that piranha tomorrow and if he acts mean and stuff i'll probably get him. if not i may just wait and get 3 baby spilos, i dunno... such a hard decision

1 - 7 of 7 Posts