Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the webiste of the state aquarium....

"The red-bellied piranha, Serrasalamus nattereri, belongs to one of the most feared groups of fish. They are found only in South American waters and can feed on animals larger than themselves. Piranhas can attack and severely wound or kill wading or swimming mammals."

Now, beside from stating the very obvious (Piranhas can attack) they call it Serrasalamus nattereri, which pisses me off cause these are supposed to be experts.

Oh well, just felt the need to post that, lol.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Yeah.. my P book has S. Nattereri all over it. Published 1992.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
I got a '88 book, it has S. Nattereri, S. Notatus (Caribe), S. Piraya, and has all said species under the subgroup "Tadyella"

·
18,487 Posts
piranha45 said:
I got a '88 book, it has S. Nattereri, S. Notatus (Caribe), S. Piraya, and has all said species under the subgroup "Tadyella"
"Tadyella"??? Dang your book is ancient!!!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Kolbenschlag said:
This is from the webiste of the state aquarium....

"The red-bellied piranha, Serrasalamus nattereri, belongs to one of the most feared groups of fish. They are found only in South American waters and can feed on animals larger than themselves. Piranhas can attack and severely wound or kill wading or swimming mammals."

Now, beside from stating the very obvious (Piranhas can attack) they call it Serrasalamus nattereri, which pisses me off cause these are supposed to be experts.

Oh well, just felt the need to post that, lol.
the problem is all the bad infomation out there, so even when they do research its bad infomation. a good example is s.niger, the black piranha, and s.rhombeus the white piranha. we all know better

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Maybe Frank can let us know when was the date that S. Nattereri was officially changed to P. Nattereri. Cause I dont know.....and want to...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Speaking of doing research....

Everybody in here should go out and find a copy of this book. S. nattereri was a misclassification, it does not exist as it is really P. nattereri. Using S. nattereri is incorrect.

The usage of that on the Internet can IMO be attributed to one of a couple things. Firstly the author may simply not know that S. nattereri is an incorrect classification, whether or not they are willing to accept things now is a different matter. Secondly there are those who are unwilling to accept the info as incorrect or those who are intentionally using it despite knowing full well there is evidence to the contrary. The latter group is the dangerous one as they spread falsities knowing they are "right".

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
knowing they are falacies, and know what is really right

ie, intentional liars, but I doubt there are many people like that, why waste them time?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
All one has to do is go to table of contents OPEFE and the information is there.....

Historical Information on genus Pygocentrus

Sir Nathan XXI Posted on May 3 2003, 02:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
knowing they are falacies, and know what is really right

ie, intentional liars, but I doubt there are many people like that, why waste them time?
I can think of a few still out there.

·
18,487 Posts
hastatus said:
I believe so. Just came from Pets Club, checked out a piranha book published 2 yrs ago and still has the S. Nattereri specifying its a close resemblance to P. Nattereri and that classdifications were still in doubts about the 2 being and/or having any resemblance. HUH?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
RhomZilla Posted on May 3 2003, 06:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(hastatus @ May 3 2003, 09:57 AM)
I believe so. Just came from Pets Club, checked out a piranha book published 2 yrs ago and still has the S. Nattereri specifying its a close resemblance to P. Nattereri and that classdifications were still in doubts about the 2 being and/or having any resemblance. HUH?
Could it be they are using a web site for reference that boasts 4 species in Pygocentrus? No wonder they are confused.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I have a book published in 70' that calls it Serrasalmus Rooseveltii. They tried so hard to tag Teddy Roosevelts name to this poor fish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.