Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a bunch of these little 1-2" listed as "pearl red horn cichlids". Has anyone ever heard of this species before. The store was "Pet World Warehouse Outlet". Its like Petsmart but I believe in Madison, WI only. I tried to look on the net for any info but the only thing I found was a hybrid species called "red pearl horn". Any ideas, the guy working there said they are as aggressive as the regular SA cichlid but not as aggressive as something like a Dovii.

If these are a type of flowerhorn cichlid, these would probably be considered cheap because they are only 3 bucks each.

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going on vacation tomorrow for 10 days. After that I will be taking pics at the pet store and then immediately posting them here. So by the 12th or 13th pics should be up of this alleged fish.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
This sounds like they are of the Zhen Zhu family of flowerhorns. These Pearls are on their way out in popularity in asia but are still relatively new in the united states. Unfortunately buying from a non-flowerhorn dealer is not always a good move if your looking for a real good looking flowerhorn. You can tell if they are real pearls if their bodies are covered in small blue scales on top of their red and yellow base colors.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
knowing petsmart & pet world I would suggest it might be a platty?
or perhaps a tiger barb?

to be honest it could even be a rabbit.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The only breed that doesnt have pearls is the Flowerhorn series which cannot even be found anymore, epecially in the united states. If it doesnt have pearls i would suspect that it is just a cross between a midas/ and a trimac labeled as a flowerhorn for a sales pitch. You never no what your going to get from a tank like that, so its very much a risk... you could buy all of them and see if one turns out alright.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
piranha45 said:
i love bunny rabbits!
Yeah, I like bunny rabbits also.. for my Ps

BUt thanks for sharing the pic of that FH. Come to think of it, I did see one of those in some LFS.. hella expensive!!! I wouldnt buy it, but might be valuable to some.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
BDKing57 said:
well if someone would ever move the post which i put in the wrong forum with all the new series of flowerhorns you would see some cool ass fish.
dude - its done

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.