Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
perhaps your pH or ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are way off or something..

I'd take that fish back right away, regardless. And bring the pet store a sample of your water, and they should do a free testing of it for you and tell you if anything is wrong with it

·
Registered
277 Posts
Can you further explain "swimming on it's side".

Do you mean swimming with the body tilted?

Do you mean it's on it's side barely moving?

Do you mean it is swimming on it's side (out of balance)?

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
It is either your ammonia and nitrites or if you have other fish they are beating it to death this happend to Riley he internally bled it was sad.
Take him to the lfs and get your water tested and then they can hold him till u figure out the problem

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I suggest you do what piranha45 said, but otherwise you should clean the water every day (30%-40%) and it may do well - but might not

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
another otion could be a swim bladder disorder
yeah, my thoughts were either swim bladder, bad water quailty (which can cause swim bladder problems) or internal bacteria.

either way my advice is as I said above + medicate

to desiese and paracite forum

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the water is good.no other fish are beating it .there is only two other fish inwith it and they are all about 2".in a 46 g. bowfront.he's still alive but swims on a tilt,sometimes on his side completly.if it is a blatter thing what can i do?thanks for acknowledging my problem

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it is just swimming on a tilt and now too weird, I would say it is caused by aggression by the other fish in the tank. What is kept with it? Besides, parrot fish are weird fish, I wouldn't doubt they would swim on it's side.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
parrot fish are one of the best fish I have ever kept - they are great, if it is a swim bladder thing you should do water changes.

go on, do one right now!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i came home from work today and my parrot fish was swimming normal???now he's chasing the jewel cichlid,BULLY.i have no idea really as to what the deal was,but he's cool now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it's swimming fine today, then it was probably an aggression problem.
I used to have a juvie Midas/RD cross that would swim on a tilt in my big tank, I was going to exchange it back to the LFS. I moved him in a tank all by itself and it swam fine. The reason for the tilt body is that, most of the time when an inferior Cichlid is being chased or picked on by a more superior cichlid, it's body will tilt. My guess is that, when you first had the parrot fish in there, it felt inferior to your other CIchlids, after a couple of days, it got used to it's new environment, which causes it to chase the Jewel cichlid back.

·
Banned
1,147 Posts
are we talking hybrid parrots???, ahh sweet fish, i have two £15 each, bloody things ripped up a £12.50 black ghost knife fish, there awesome fish, i love mine they allways follow me round room, i go to one end of tank and they go as fast as they can to see me:p then i go to other end of tank and they do the same over and over and over again!:D. glad to hear its better

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
the funny thing here is that red ones cost £15-20 but brown/yellow ones cost £5

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.