Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i have a 75 gallon tank with a wet dry filter system on it and i have 7 red belly pirahans and i have devloped a problem i have noticed like little worms my friend thinks they are "ancor worms" not sure if thats them but they are really small and look like little magets and they crawl on the glass inside the tank now i went to a few local pet shops and they told me that the worms are harmless but still really bother me and i also think that they might be breadin iside my wetdry so what can i do about this problem

·
Registered
737 Posts
PLANARIA. They are harmless to your fish. They feed on leftover food. Your tank is a little crowded. Make sure your filters are clean, gravel vac, check for leftover food, don't overfeed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
clean out your filter and do water changes until most of them are gone if that doesnt work im sure there is something out on the market that will kill them and not harm your p's...good luck

·
Registered
737 Posts
They are not too easy to kill. They will go away when there is no food for them to eat. Why add chemicals when it is not necessary. They won't hurt your fish. They are just unsightly. If you don't gravel vac or if your filter pads are stinky, those are two big places where they will thrive.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Another tally mark for the sand over gravel arguement! Anyways gravel vac the entire tank, clean (replace) filter media stop overfeeding, do a 20% water change every 3rd day for 2 weeks

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Another tally mark for the sand over gravel arguement! Anyways gravel vac the entire tank, clean (replace) filter media stop overfeeding, do a 20% water change every 3rd day for 2 weeks
You really dont need to gravel the entire tank, where the vaccum actually lifts off muggy water until it gets clear, you have colonized bacteria living inside beteen gravel which you dont really want to fully wipe out or destroy. Also no need to replace the entire media since it also holds beneficial bacteria. You can, however, dip it into a bucket of your own aquarium water, washit out clean from that and place back. The 20% water change would be good but adviseable to stop if you see it disappear. I agree about not to overfeed and get bigger and better filters since it seems like the load you have in your tank are fully supported by what you currently have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea, you never want to go through and clean every single thing in your tank. Your bacteria is gonna take a huge hit if you change fiters, gravel vac and do water changes. Like everyone's said, they aren't harmful, so dont worry about it. Small regular water cahnges and less food everyday then usual. Thats all, they'll go away eventually

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
As previously stated, you have planaria.

Raise the temperature (82 is good...), perform 50% water changes back to back daily for a few days- vacuuming the gravel each time. Don't let food sit in the tank.

If you do these things, your planaria will disappear like a virgin on prom night.

·
Registered
737 Posts
p.s. Planaria are not parasites.
Good point.
Makes the topic sound a little misleading

1 - 13 of 13 Posts