Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my mom picked up a new FZ50 to replace her old 35mm film SLR, and i gotta say, i was skeptical because the thing is kind of an e-SLR, but this thing is rediculous for a newbie. anyone who's never been around an SLR camera before, and is looking for a super easy to use SLR camera without the huge 1000 dollar pricetag, you're in the money with this thing. its got all the goods, leica lense, auto-everything, yet fully manual mode, iso up to 1600, max shutter is 1/2000, minimum is 60 seconds, spot metering (a really important feature for me), a continuous drive of 2fps max...i mean, its a winner for the price. she picked it up for 464 dollars offline. the only drawback is that its not a true SLR. it has to be on to view through the viewfinder, and even then, you're looking into an LCD image of what you're shooting at. im still dicking around with settings, but im gonna try and grab some general photo's to show you guys what this puppies got for balls.
stay tuned.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
One of my managers at work has this camera and he LOVES it. I was seriously considering it too when I was looking into digital SLRs. The price tag is a lot nicer. And another nice feature is never having to worry about cleaning the lens and dust and such as you're not switching things out... It also has a 10x optical zoom, doesn't it? I've heard it takes great macro shots.

My biggest issue with panasonic cameras to date though is the amount of image noise that you get, especially when you shoot anything remotely dark. It just jumps out. For me anyway. I'm sure it can be tweaked to minimize it... But from all the pics I've seen and from the reviews I've read this is a continuous issue with their entire line of cameras.

I really like it though and am considering it as a 'travel camera' when I don't want to bring along my Nikon D50.

And for reference, I thing they're called 'super zooms' or something to that effect.

·
Banned
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well supposedly they reduced the amount of noise in this over the FZ30 with a new processor or something to that effect...regardless, its an issue i've run into already, you just have to play with settings until you can get it looking right. and the zoom is 12x optical. amazing macro's indeed. im gonna do some depth of field shots tomorrow and see what i come up with...see what the auto modes can offer me haha. i wish i could upload these pics...one is a damn good candle pic IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.