Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, if any of you guys have painted the back of you're tanks, what kind of paint do you recommend? I think it's acrylic... but i'd better ask first. Thanks.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont know that the paint really matters, but if it is running you need to mask it completely off so the fumes dont kill your fish. What I do is just paint a large piece of card board and tape it to the back of my tanks, that way if I ever want to change the color all I have to do is paint repaint it.

moved to equipment

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You can buy a background too!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I've painted the back of a 20 gal glass tank before and it came out rather nice. As for acrylic, Im not sure. Just remember that fumes from aerosol can get in your tank and kill your fish also. Best to do it with an ampty tank out in the open.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Like they said, but is the tank glass or acrylic? If you use certain paints it can eat though the acrylic, so make sure its safe...

MAD

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find back ground pictures give the tank more depth perception. The problem is getting them to stick to the tank without having annoying air bubbles.

Though I used half a tub of water based hair gel to get mine to stick, simply brush off the air bubbles with a straight edge. Now it looks shweet.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Yeah definetly buy a background it tends to look better in my opinion.

Mad nice little dude riding the horse or donkey thing.

·
18,487 Posts
Senator said:
I find back ground pictures give the tank more depth perception. The problem is getting them to stick to the tank without having annoying air bubbles.

Though I used half a tub of water based hair gel to get mine to stick, simply brush off the air bubbles with a straight edge. Now it looks shweet.
You can also use regular tape to hold the backround. Easier and more convenient, especially to change and when you decide to want to get a new look.

·
18,487 Posts
Well good job then, Cypher!! As long as your happy.. we're happy for you!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
LouiCypher said:
... and besides, if I want to remove the paint, it all comes off in one chunk when it's peeled. Cost me a toonie ($2) to do so heh, works for me.
What kind of paint did you end up using?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts