Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some thoughts on how to go about painting a black background for a large tank (120g and up). Do you turn it over on its front so the back panel will be facing up to avoid paint drips and irregular marks on the painted surface? Will turning it over affect the structural integrity of the tank and cause a leak? I've read up here on how to go about it but the post had as an example a tank which looked like a 10 gal to me and of course, it's easy turning it over and not much danger of compromising the seal.

·
5,336 Posts
if you are worried about tipping it... lots and lots of thin coats will be fine... dont put it on too thick and avoid runs, it will look the same

·
Registered
545 Posts
I use a Marine Enamel because it wont stain and its thick enough to only need 2 coats.
make sure you clean the glass first.
you can leave the tank upright and use a drop cloth.
I use a roller and roll it on, wait 4hours then apply second coat.
next day good to go.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
I painted my 135 and a 75 recently. I just used some enamel satin black spray paint. Came out looking mint.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
try vinyl or 2.5% limo black window tint.... faster cleaner no runs drips no tipping the tank it will all come out the same color no dark spots and if you realy want to it come off

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
G/L man

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you know the tink might work a little better for you.....let us know what you go with and how it turns out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts