Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticeing the other day that the smallest of my 3 Redbellies is missing what looks like close to half his mouth full of teeth. Do P's lose their teeth , either during growth, or can they knock them out somehow?

I'm leaning towards the idea that it is a defect of that fish. The reasons for this is because for one, the teeth he does have on the one side, seem to be extra long..like fangs. Also he has been the smallest since I've had them (1.5") and has stayed that way. I realize that there will always be a smaller one, except that he is almost always the first to eat. Tho he is the smallest, he is probably the most aggressive.

Any insight, thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Piranha! yes they do lose they teeth, but not so sure about growing age or young age.

But dont worry, it will grow back...no biggy.

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,857 Posts
i used to have a rhom on black sand and you could collect teeth on a regular basis sitting on the top of the sand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
correct me if i am wrong but isn't it true that when a piranha loses a tooth all their teeth drop out and a whole new set replaces it? i know new teeth grow back... just thought that was a cool fact to add to the thread

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
correct me if i am wrong but isn't it true that when a piranha loses a tooth all their teeth drop out and a whole new set replaces it? i know new teeth grow back... just thought that was a cool fact to add to the thread
Is a very cool fact, and thanks for posting. I'd love to hear some more about this. Can anyone verify this? or shed some more knowledge?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My red bellies would lose say the bottom left side of their teeth while the right side remained. When the left were grown back fully, the right side would fall out next.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My MAC is missing a few on the lower right... no big thing

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
very much right my freind...i learnt that a few months back....cool fact to know, try and collect a whole row

·
Registered
121 Posts
yah i always keep an eye out for teeth in my gravel but havent found any yet...i havent even noticed any of my p's missing teeth yet but i am sure it will happen eventually

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
This is how it goes:

Piranhas like so many other fishes too, have renewable teeth. They are renewed (half of one jaw, one side, at one time) even if the old teeth were not broken.

But of course as Piranhas use their teeth so called hardcore, also indivudual tooth is often detached and perhaps found on the bottom of the tank or just seen hanging from the jaw.

Harry

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Follow up - Today I found a tooth, and noticed that the 'big fang' that was noticed a few days ago is missing. I guess that big fang was on its way out.

Thanks all for reading and responding, all in all this has been facinateing and educational.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Ive noticed that its sort of a cycle. Teeth push out, become highly visible, drop off, then the whole thing starts all over again. I have pygos. Dunno if it holds true for serras as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts