Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i havent posted in a couple of days as i didnt have any comments worth adding to a post. I have spent alot of today looking at different peoples fish and have a few questions.

I have nearly had my fish for 3 months now how big should they be? i bought them at about 1/2 inch!

Also my red bellies.... dont have red bellies. i know that they dont get the red till they get bigger but at what size should i be expecting my fish to aquire the red!!

Only one of my fish is meetring potential, and those of you who have read my posts will no that his name is the general! he is like 3 1/2 inches but is sort of darish in colour!

i am in work now so i cant post pics but i will get some updated ones up!

any help then p-fury members, when do they get red bellies at what size/age

and how big should they be at 3 months??

my smallest one is about 2 inches!! (that seems stunted) i wonder if he hasnt been eating enough

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I would say after 3 months they should all be at least 3" if not more in the 4" or a little over range.

How often and what are you feeding? What size tank are they in? How often are you doing water changes? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have a powerhead for them?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
It all depending on how big is your tank and how well you maintiene your set up....if you feed them well, lots of room for them with good care...3moth from 1/2" - alteast 3-4'...but again it all depending on you.

as for color you should see the redish about 2-3"+..also depending what you have feed them as well. here is some a little infor. for you about how to take care of your little guys

-the bigger tank the better
-temp should be between 78-82f...
-low light what most piranha like, about 25%-40% change a week..with vacuum gravel is a must.
-feed them variety different food..it importand and it good to introduce different to them when thier are little, so their can get use to it.

you should feed them scallop, prawn, shrimp, silver side, frozen food, pellets, fish fillet or talipia, etc...but stay away from feeder. IMo

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THOSE WORDS WERE LIKE DAGGERS TO MY EARS!!!

My fish havent started getting there red bellies yet and it is confirmed that there growth is stunted.

I am not going to lie about the matter as i would like some help.

I have a 55 uk gallon tank it seems quite abig tank.

I normally feed them on chichlid pellets and lance fish.Only one of my fish is achieving potential. I feed my fish once a day and i dont have a powerhead

Do i need a powerhead
Do i need a bigger tank

also i have only done about 4 water changes since i have had my fish but my water params are all fine and my water is crystal clear!

am i doing bad!!!!!

damn am gutted

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
55g....would do fine for now..but yes you do need bigger tank when thier started to grow bigger and bigger. infact you should get bigger tank now because it wont stunts the grown.

powerhead is only extra oxygen and current..if you p are active and swim well you dont need them, but i dont hurt to have it.

you need to to do water change weekly daily..it doesn't matter how cystal clear is your water or how much filteration you have..piranha are messy eater so when you do water change you must do some gravel vacuum as well.

good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone have any piranhas that are a similar age to mine that are alot bigger???

let me no please or even better if anyone has some p's that are like 3-4 months old

could i see some pics

I am truely devestated i have only just realised this

55g....would do fine for now..but yes you do need bigger tank when thier started to grow bigger and bigger. infact you should get bigger tank now because it wont stunts the grown.

powerhead is only extra oxygen and current..if you p are active and swim well you dont need them, but i dont hurt to have it.

you need to to do water change weekly daily..it doesn't matter how cystal clear is your water or how much filteration you have..piranha are messy eater so when you do water change you must do some gravel vacuum as well.

good luck
Thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated, so i think i will purchase a powerhead and i will get rid of my silverdollar and get rid of my smallest P to make more room in the tank. I am only 18 years old and i need my spare money to pay for my car...... crap i will start saving for a new tank maybe a 75?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
save for a 100g or 120g they are about the same footprint only bit wider than 75g

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nexus you keep nats. Did you get yours at dime size???

did your grow alot faster than mine.

This is real bad news i thought everything was running smoothly.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
The water changes are not only to keep the nitrates in check, but especially during heavy growth period, to keep the growth inhibiting hormones as diluted as possible.

Piranhas (As do most fish.... fish such as oscars and bass don't...) exude a hormone into the water.
The concentration of this hormone dictates the growth potential and rate for the fish.

By performing frequent and copious water changes, the concentration of this hormone is kept to a minimum.

I'd do some serious water changes from now on... perhaps two 50% water changes per week for awhile...
It's not too late, your fish can "Catch up" on their growth.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
piranha man you are my silver lining!!!

so what your saying is my fish can catch up on what they have missed!!!

if i do frequent water changes from now on and maybe thin my shoal (get rid of one of my smaller P's) do i still have a chance????

confirmation on this???

i will do some before and after pics

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
piranha man you are my silver lining!!!

so what your saying is my fish can catch up on what they have missed!!!

if i do frequent water changes from now on and maybe thin my shoal (get rid of one of my smaller P's) do i still have a chance????

confirmation on this???

i will do some before and after pics
Confirmation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a pick of some of my natts, I've had them for about 3 months, and they are somewhere between 3" and 4". The biggest one (in the background to the right) is bought at that size, the others are raised from 1".

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aasgaard thanks for the pics man really appreciated!!!!

My biggest P the general is not far from the size of your P's. I am going to do a water change tonight when i get home and look to see if they are going red yet!!!!

I think its because my light is always off maybe they are starting to turn and i have took no notice???

Nice shoal tho man, they all look like fatties!!!!

i have 2 chicken head P,s in my tank

but my caribe keeps them all inline and i am confident the general is one of the most active juvenile P's that have been spoken about on this site!! All he does is swim round and is aggressive as mad (read my post)

The only problem is he is still slighly smaller than your P's so that means he isnt big!!!

AND I THOUGHT HE HAD SOME SUPER GROWTH!!

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Aasgaard... very good looking fish you've got there!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man i am downhearted!

I might of had my P,s just over 3 months or just under can anybody on here check when i first posted about my fish and did i have them, i joined the end of september so it could be 2 and a half months maybe??

or am i just wishing haha

i will get some pics posted as soon as i get home!!!

Is there any advice anyone can offer or maybe some more pics i could see. I love this forum if this wasnt here my fish would be dead!!!

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
pygos grow to about 6 inchs the first year and an inch there on per year, they should be around 2-3 inchs by now, keep us posted

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
6 months in a year? I thought that a pygo could grow to 6 inches in six months then the rate of growth slows?

I tried to take some pictures last night with my phone but they done my fish no justice. My girlfriend is coming round tonight and is bringing her camera (8megapixel should get some good shots)

I have however ( i hope ) answerd my own dilema. If my fish is supposed to be 2-3 inches after roughly 3 months then i am content with 3 of my fish.

My caribe is 3 inches in size DEFINATELY, he is on track )and is mad as a hatter.

My biggest red, the general is roughly same size as my caribe (He is dominant in this tank)

My second biggest red is slighly smaller than the general and he has no adorsal fin (i posted pictures a while back)

My smallest red (named sancho) he is only about 2 inches, and is not as "chunky" as the others (caribe is the fattest)

I think the problem is that my smallest red is a runt!!! He always has nipped fins and geeting bossed around. I think there might be alittle too much competition for food in my tank, and the little one isnt getting his fair share. Do you think i should put him in a hospital tank and try and faaten him up (maybe give him some boxing lessons)

what do you think am i way off?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Take the smallest one out from the tank...it he is hurt treat him with melafix and aqaurium salt and have him heal up. put him in different tank and grow him up to the same size as other then you can add them together.

Keep them well fed to provide them from fighter and nipping each other, also you might want to bring down your temp to 76-78f to lower the aggression from them. Add more hiding space for more territorial.

Growing it happen to many facter. If you want your piranha to grow big fast and healthy here are some tips

- have lots of space to swim, so bigger tank always better
- Dont over crowe your tank, keep the well fed.
- variety different food.
- feed them (small) 3-4 tine (medium) 2-3 time (large) 1-2 time a day
- water change is very important 25%-40% weekly, doesn't matter if you have the best fitleration or your water cyrstal clear. Vacumm your gravel as well
- temp are 80-82f..the higher the temp to more their are active and get aggressive..lower temp less aggression.

if you got the following above...your pygo or anyone pygo start from 1"...8month later their so get about 6-8" with good care.my 2cent

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
55 imperial gallons is only 66.2 us gallons, what is the footprint on the tank?
depending on that you might not need to upgrade to a US 75.
keeping the light off at all times isnt good, and is probably why they dont have much red to them.
put the lights on for at least 8 hours a day and no more than 12 hours.
im not sure on the growth rates but i wouldnt be super concered about it.
good luck with your situation man.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts