Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What products are out there that introduce oxygen in a tank of p/p's that does not require electricity. Would like to be prepared for the next large power outage. A generator would definitely be awesome but not in my budget for this year. UPS systems only usually last an hour. I need something that would be good for lets say 24 hours.

· Registered
10,778 Posts
There are power backup betteries that many people have for computers, it should last like an hour at best. If you really cant afford a generator, but need its affects, put ur car in your garage (hopefully u got a garage, buy a POWER INVERTER--dont get cheap on me--good ones are like 100$, and you can plug in your tank accesories into the inverter. The inverter plugs in the cigg lighter--so its good, as long as your car is running.

· Registered
639 Posts
You can get a battery-powered air pump. There's different ones out there in a range of prices.

I've seen one that will automatically cut on when the power cuts out, which would be good if you're gone alot. Once your power resumes, it reverts back. I like this one the best, but it's quite pricey in comparison to a normal battery-powered air pump.

edit: here's a link to a few...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavR...m?N=2004+113402

· Registered
10,778 Posts
skelator said:
You can get a battery-powered air pump. There's different ones out there in a range of prices.

I've seen one that will automatically cut on when the power cuts out, which would be good if you're gone alot. Once your power resumes, it reverts back. I like this one the best, but it's quite pricey in comparison to a normal battery-powered air pump.

edit: here's a link to a few...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavR...m?N=2004+113402
[snapback]835726[/snapback]​
ouch for that price, just get a computer backup battery, it should keep that little air pump going for a long time.

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man...Expensive but worth it considering the cost replacement of the fish...Anyone ever try hooking up a UPS to a fish tank.???..Just curious how long they will last...

· Registered
639 Posts
Filo said:
ouch for that price, just get a computer backup battery, it should keep that little air pump going for a long time.
[snapback]836272[/snapback]​
Yeah, but you obviously didn't look at the cheaper models. Those are simply battery powered with no special features. When the batteries die, put new batteries in, plain and simple.

Those prices are shown as $3.99 for the Azoo and $7.49 for the Hagen.

Take a second look...

You must have only looked at the most expensive one, check out the other two shown in the link, they're probably more in your price range. Much cheaper than a back-up UPS...

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hagen one...is that actually good enough for a 55 gallon or would 2 of them be required.

· Registered
639 Posts
I would imagine in the event of a power outtage, it would be plenty till the power resumes. Would also work great if you ever needed to transport your fish from one location to another.

If you wanted to play it super safe, you could get two, but I highly doubt your fish would run short on oxygen with just one.

Just be sure to keep some extra batteries on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.