Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been alot of talking about the 20 gal per piranha rule so i decided to start this thread.
i personnaly have 5 in a 55 gal and they are doin great
(all reds)
what does everybody this of this rule should we toss it out into the wind or keep on suggesting it?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
20 gallons is suggested per LARGE fish. not 4 dime sized fish in a 80 gallon aquarium.

i have 10 reds in a 50 right now....

your fish may doing alright now, but they will outgrow the tank and u WILL lose fish.

how big are your reds now?

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
when i got the 3 little ones i added plants to the whole right side of my tank.it covers a third of the tank.
and i thought the little guys would hide there but they rather be out in the open chasing feeders :nod:but the 2 big guys stay there all the time now

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I personally think the rule of 20 is not enough per fish. I think that 30-40 is a good number. When my spilos get to be full size, I dont expect to still have 10. I originally had a long term outlook of ending up with only 4-5 in my 180. That is about 40 gallons per fish.

The 20 gallon rule is about the average of what people find acceptable. However, it seems there are more people that believe in overstocking, as opposed to people like me that find more joy in having alot of free space in a tank for your fish.

~Dj

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
sounds like u have some pretty cool and aggressive reds

i would keep a close eye on them though man, eventually those piranha will get too big and want more room for themselves. possibly remove a couple are put them all in a larger tank.

Good Luck & keep me posted!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i agree with Dj as well. when fish get SUPER large i too think that 20 gallons is not enough. i dont have to worry about finding that large of tank to support my piranha anytime soon though.

if u think about it...(5) 12" piranha would look cramped in a 100 gallon aquarium.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
JesseD said:
if u think about it...(5) 12" piranha would look cramped in a 100 gallon aquarium.
I very much aggree.

~Dj

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I have 8 pygos in a 125 that range from 6-9". They are doing fine...I had 9 but sold a tern because it was too crowded. When you get into larger tanks....100+, you can get away with a little more. My pygos rarely use the right side of the tank, choosing to hang on the left. My larger tern and cariba own the right so the others rarely venture over there. When they get larger I plan to do some thinning, but until then they have plenty of space.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If you want big monster Ps you need more than 20g per fish (at least 30, maybe 40)...still, they can do fine with less than that in bigger tanks (IMO 150+) where you can go 15g per fish, just what i think...!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yep, need more room. I'm in the process of setting up a 160 right now for only 2 p's and in the future, I may go even bigger with a total of 3-4 fish. (aside from stuff like plecos, etc.)

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Jonas said:
I'm in the process of setting up a 160 right now for only 2 p's and in the future, I may go even bigger with a total of 3-4 fish. (aside from stuff like plecos, etc.)
You might want to consider at least 3 to start that 160. Two P's is not a good number to go with. Aggression and dominace usually will bring that number to 1 in a short time.

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Death in # said:
there has been alot of talking about the 20 gal per piranha rule so i decided to start this thread.
i personnaly have 5 in a 55 gal and they are doin great
(all reds)
what does everybody this of this rule should we toss it out into the wind or keep on suggesting it?
I had 8 and they did fine. The reason why people tend to lean on the "rule" is because thats what seems to be right. There is no real rule. It is just a nice suggestion to follow by. Noone knows how much tank sapce a single fish need. For all we know they need 100g per fish. We can never mimic the natural envioronment that they came from.

As for over stocking, if you do, then mostly likely you will stunn the fish growth. Piranhas are very strange, you dont know how their attitude are. Sometimes they can get along sometimes they hate each other. That is why it is recommended to give more tank space. Dont be surprised if you come home with some deaths or injuries.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know much about fish but I will be keeping my 3 RBs in a 40 for life

I consider this board to be towards the extreme of fish keeping (which isnt a bad thing, just an observation) where people here take much better care of their fish than the general public does

Lots of people have had worse case scenarios but my friend had 2 Ps in a 10 for over 1.5 years and lived fine. You could show examples of people with better situations and fish dying but you just have to make due with what you have

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
SonicDark said:
That tank is much too small for 3 reds for life. People, including possibly yourself, should think about the minimu requirement for a pet before they take on the responcibility or owning them. If you do not have adequate means to house the fish for life, then perhaps you should think of an alternative. If you dont have the room for 3 P's, perhaps you should consider just getting one lone species.

Its the responsible thing to do.

~Dj

·
Registered
200 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
SonicDark said:
That tank is much too small for 3 reds for life. People, including possibly yourself, should think about the minimu requirement for a pet before they take on the responcibility or owning them. If you do not have adequate means to house the fish for life, then perhaps you should think of an alternative. If you dont have the room for 3 P's, perhaps you should consider just getting one lone species.

Its the responsible thing to do.

~Dj
When they get bigger I will try to sell all 3 for 1 large rhom

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
SonicDark said:
When they get bigger I will try to sell all 3 for 1 large rhom
This tank will still not be big enough. A large 10+ or 12+ rhom will require at least an 80, and even thats kinda cramped.

Perhaps you might think about a Spilo (gold or cf).

~Dj

·
Registered
286 Posts
So what do you guys think about the lfs that stock 7 or 8, 8-9 inch red bellies in a 55 gallon tank? Because I have a lfs store that has a constant supply of these fish in there tanks and they don't seem to be bad off. Also they regularily stock a 20 high with 3 or 4, 5-7 inch red bellies, and they do not have any fin nips, or bumbs on there lips, perfectly healthy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.