Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a long 60 gallon tank and i have 5 red belly babies in it right now and i was wondering when they get big is there anyway i can keep all 5 in the 60 gallon? i keep hearing sometimes red belly's do okay being over crowded but i was wondering what happens when you overcrowd? do they start killing each other or do ammonia levels go up? i do partial water changes every week. i have been succesful overcrowding my ten gallon? i thought it was because i did partial water changes once a week?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I actually have 7 in a 60 gal. They are about 3-3.5 inches. They are doing fine but they are starting to fin nip and act very aggressive toward each other. I am now in process of upgrading to a 135 (cycling right now) and transferring all in that, hopefully they will stop all that before they start cannablism. You should do that too!! Go for a standard 125 or something, they will be very happy with that

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
hmmm, i guess the measurements for a 60 would be like 48x14x22 possibly?? if im even close id say to you i wouldnt even house them in there....it would be alright for two IMO but two isnt a good number for pygo's....if you had a tank atleast the size of a 75, with great filtration, hiding spots, and what not then POSSIBLY you could keep them all in there, thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
hmmm, i guess the measurements for a 60 would be like 48x14x22 possibly?? if im even close id say to you i wouldnt even house them in there....it would be alright for two IMO but two isnt a good number for pygo's....if you had a tank atleast the size of a 75, with great filtration, hiding spots, and what not then POSSIBLY you could keep them all in there, thats just my 2 cents
thanks for confirming..

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
i have a long 60 gallon tank and i have 5 red belly babies in it right now and i was wondering when they get big is there anyway i can keep all 5 in the 60 gallon? i keep hearing sometimes red belly's do okay being over crowded but i was wondering what happens when you overcrowd? do they start killing each other or do ammonia levels go up? i do partial water changes every week. i have been succesful overcrowding my ten gallon? i thought it was because i did partial water changes once a week?
Loco63,

You said it, overcrowding it will be. Not roght now as they are babies, but these will grow so fast (up to 8" in one year from only 1") and you have a situation there.
I think that a 60 gallon tank would be better to house a Serra, like sanchezi.

Harry

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yeah man thoes fish will be fine in there for awhile. just not for life if the tanks 14" wide 4 ' long id say you could keep all 5 in there till there about 6". after that you will proubley see lots of fin nips or death. also like they said they need the depth for swimming and hiding spots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.