Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
yes i was ... i successfully had a gold fish live in my tank for 2 days...... i have heard of neons and plecos lasting for a while other than that anything u put in will be food eventually.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
as we speak my Pearl Danio's ..well one of them i think just missed an attack from a P. i bought 6 a few months ago and 3 have been left in the tank for months heeh

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
unless your putting the same species in the tank...then anything else would be considered lunch meat down the line...just who knows when

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yep... you've gotten "The word."
Nothing but pygos with pygos, anything else is food.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
has anyone been successful with other fish in the same tank as p's?
i have had 2 rafeal cats in my tank for some time now, fhey hid during the day andis out at night. no deaths yetno fin nipping either

[/quote]

id say so far your lucky...dont be upset tho if you wake up one one of them is gone

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know Plecos have spines for protection, does that help protect against P's? I assume it doesn't matter too much just wondering if anyone knows?

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, like "Ice" said... it's no protection.
A pleco will get demolished in a piranha tank... sometimes as soon as it hits the water and sometimes it takes months.

Sooner or later, it's a goner though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have three Cichlids (one unknown and two Jack Dempsey) of the same size as my natts in a tank. They've been there for a couple months. They are chasing the natts if they get too close, and steal food from them whenever they can. I do not expect it to last forever though, but they've been doing great this far. We'll see what happens when I add the three caribe (4-5") I ordered.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
A few people have had some luck keeping Plecos, and other fish successfully with p's. However, it is all a matter of time. Some last a week, some a month, others will last a year. However, as stated above any fish you place in your tank "can" become food.

Especially if according to your name you own a Rhom.

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
piranhas are pricks,,, bullys ass wips ,,,,, dont do it unless you got reds or somthin,, and never try a rhom with any thang it wont last long/.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
pacu does well with p's it just depends on if u want a huge ugly fish in your tank thats all

·
Registered
750 Posts
pacu does well with p's it just depends on if u want a huge ugly fish in your tank thats all
I don't think they are ugly per say. Alot of people I talk to think piranhas are ugly, which is far from true imo. I love my pacus, never had one I didn't like, they have better personalities than red belly piranha 90% of the time IMO. I think pacus are like an adorable little characature piranha that somehow got stuck in my tank as some kind of joke from the man upstairs :laugh:

Back on topic, I have NEVER had a piranha tank that did NOT have any other fish in it. I have alwayys had some kind of fish or another in with my p's. I can honestly say that 90% of m cohabs have been very successful. I have had cichlids work good, exodons, pacus, small tetras, guppies, danios. The size of the piranha is also a rather large factor. The larger the piranha, the more mellow I find them to be. Large piranha can easilly be housed with small delicate fish with little or no problems. But always remember, piranhas can be unpridictable, nothing is certain, you are always trying at your own risk!

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts