Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been keeping tiger oscars for about 8 months...seem to be struggling to keep them alive. Also, haven't had to opportunity as yet to see oscar fry...so how do I know if I have fry or a parasite in the water? I just noticed that something is definitley "wriggling around".

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[quote name='fshfan' date='Feb 3 2005, 01:12 AM']
We have been keeping tiger oscars for about 8 months...seem to be struggling to keep them alive. Also, haven't had to opportunity as yet to see oscar fry...so how do I know if I have fry or a parasite in the water? I just noticed that something is definitley "wriggling around".

definitely have babies...any suggestions on how best care for babies...when should they be removed to avoid becoming a snack?

they are currently in a 55 gal with 1 TO approx 8-10" and one pleco 9"

· DOC#003162
13,889 Posts
fshfan said:
[snapback]875963[/snapback]​
what kind of water quality do they have? are you doin your water changes?? with a tank

that size you should be doin quite a few per week

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feed back! I have been doing water changes at 30% every 2 wks and 50% once per month...I will step this up and look into getting a larger tank. I currently have a 75g with a 12-14" TO and a 12" pleco are these under housed as well? Would it be better to put the two larger TO's into the 75g tank and leave the fry in the 55g tank? They are all on a diet of pellets, bloodworms and occasional feeders and earthworms. You're all right they do sh*t ALOT!

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Your tank is just fine for your Pleco.
It`s not strange for Oscars to lay on their side often, I think they`re doing fine.
It`s important to feed them different food, that`s good for them. Mine eat big pieces of fish, flesh(beefheart?), worms, pellets, etc,etc.

· Registered
478 Posts
How many TO's do you have in that tank? If its just two are you sure that they are a mated pair? Do ou know that they are in fact a male/female pair and not male/male or female/female?

If you are looking to mate them, you need to make sure that they have a nice place to drop the eggs, and excellent water params? O's like to lay eggs on a flat surface like a rock, and the water will be hard to keep well with two or more O's in a tank as small as a 75.

Yes, I said it. 75 is small for two O's especially if you want to breed. I'd move up to a 135 if I were you.

Good luck.

· "Pygocentrus cariba"
11,249 Posts
If you are positive that you have babies, it is best to be sure that you have a sponge filter on the power filter, to prevent the babies from being sucked in. Now for your question about removing them. I would reccomend that you do not remove the fry, as for the parents care for them, and dig pits in the gravel. It is common for Oscars to eat their first 2 to 3 batchs of fry, so don't get disappointed if they eat them. However, knowing that, still I would urge you not to take the fry out. The parent's just need to learn on what they are supposed to do naturally, and you are only prolonging their learning experience by tampering with the babies. Now, you didn't mention how large your tank was. When the fry get about 1 inch long you are going to have a crazy bio load fall upon your filtering needs. I would hope for you to be able to keep the babies with the parents at an inch long you would have at least a 100 gallon tank. Then with good filtration, they should grow up fine. I would also like to add that I think it is odd that you never noticed the mating process of your Oscars. They get very rigorous with each other. I hope this information helps you some. Please do not hesitate if you have any questions on raising the fry, or anything like that.
~Taylor~
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.