Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always read that Oscars like to dig and move substrate around, but I have never witnessed this. I am planning on moving the two Red O's out of my ten gallon grow-out tank into my 55 soon. I will not be keeping both, hopefully one will be happy for a long while, or until I can get a 125. Anyway, I currently have large river gravel in the bottom, but am thinking about removing it and putting smaller black gravel in the bottom.

Back to the point. Will my Red actually move the substrate around?

2,117 Posts
i've always kept my oscar in a tank with a substrate bottom and i've never actually seen him move it. I read that they were prone to burrow in it as well but once again have never seen it. I'd say the bottom you have is fine.

· Registered
10,778 Posts
I watch my Red Devil do that. He does it all day long, putting sand in his mouth and spitting it out into a big pile. Eventually he reaches the floor of the tank, then starts over to cover the floor again lol. Cichlids do it all the time i hear.

· joey'd is da man
11,920 Posts
my severums move everything they can, and the other things like rocks get moved about by either my fire eel by digging under them, or my crayfish who likes to dig to the bottom of the tank lol

3,843 Posts
My male convict pushes a small clay pot around the tank sometimes, when gravel was in the tank he moved it around alot. My Jack dempsey plays with gravel alot, although my Oscar doesn't.

· Registered
2,882 Posts
my oscar is always moving the driftwood, pulling the airstone off the airline and chews on plastic plants, but he only ever digs in the gravel after a waterchange, he moves all the substrate away from 1 specific spot everytime and then leaves it, i havnt a clue what thats about

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.