Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently owning an oscar. and my ? is there diet is there anything this fish does not eat i mean my god i have fed him feeders goldfish and rosy reds also earthworms,crickets,grasshoppers,cockroaches,cichld pellets,flake food,and krill so i ask is there anything this fish wont eat? and the thing about all of this is he is only a 4 inch tiger oscar oh yeah he snacks on the occasional ghost shrimp when he can track em down

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
it will eat most things - but just try to get it to eat marmite

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
they are garbage disposal systems...i used to have 4 big ass one...and when i use to run out of food ..i use to feed them dog food..yup thats right..not a good idea to do it not recommand it...bad for them..but they eat all...they also like snail from the yard...use to toss them in and gulp ..the would crush there shells and down the hatch with no problem...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mine is about 5" or so and He LOVES minnows. I toss in 30-40 of them, and 20-30 are gone in 10 min. It's awesome. And when he gets bigger, I'm subbing those minnows for small golfish... hehehe. You give him Minnows? It's made mine Super fast, he can outrun the 2 cichlids I have in with him. he's a ninja! Or...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Because Oscars are such big eaters and will each anything, it is good to get them on a mainly pellet diet with the occasional treat, to help you save some money.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i usually buy enough a something for a week for my o's one week shrimp next week feeders, next krill, then pellets & worms but anytime any place they will chew
they also ate chicken (kfc)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Back when I knew nothing about fish, my friend and I would always feed his oscar cheetos and apple jacks. Now i know thats not a good idea because of the presertavies in cheetos

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
money is not an issue for feeders here i just found petsmart sells rosy reds for 12cents so going saturday to get about 30 and a couple more shrimp and oh yeah he is quick

·
Registered
256 Posts
do all you oscars beg as much as mine does??
my oscar knows when i am 6 feet from the tank and will leterally follow me from side to side with great enthusiasim expecting some food. he does not let up, even when he is completely full. one time i put a lot of food ( a lot more than i should have) in the tank and my piranhas were full but the oscar kept going to the point where u could see his huge expanded stomach as he was struggling to swim because of it. but none the less he was still on the hunt for more food.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i can come home from work and i can see him shoot to the top of the water waiting for me to stop and say hi and everytime i walk by the tank to go to the kitchen he follows me as far as he can it's hilarius he is a great fish

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a 14" tiger oscar before I got my p's....If it could fit in he's mouth, he would eat it. Good to see that I'm not the only one who's feed oscars dog food. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.