Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
ok so i have a 5-6" red tiger oscar that i want to put in my rbp tank. i have 8 rbps as of now. they are anywhere from 1-2". my oscar lives in a 10 gallon becuse when i got my rbps he was kicked out of his bigger home. anyways, do you think it would be ok to put good ol oscar in with my piranhas or do you think oscar will eat them. i read somewhere that an oscar can work as a tank mate. i have also seen a video on here with an oscar in with rbps. i mean i dont think the piranhas can hurt oscar but im afraid that oscar may eat them. i had oscar originally in my 60 gallon with 3 giant danios to cycle the tank and he never even thought about touching the danios, well i guess he couldn't catch them. please help me

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
searched for "oscars"

clicky ->LINK

for the most part oscars will get torn apart eventually after they get picked at for a while and could possibly die from stress. BUT there have been people able to keep oscars w/ reds for a while although it is not recommended. There are a lot of variables to consider:

1 size differences
2 when the fish are introduced together and how
3 tank size
4 quantity of fish/tanksize

·
Registered
110 Posts
hiphopn said:
ok so i have a 5-6" red tiger oscar that i want to put in my rbp tank. i have 8 rbps as of now. they are anywhere from 1-2". my oscar lives in a 10 gallon becuse when i got my rbps he was kicked out of his bigger home. anyways, do you think it would be ok to put good ol oscar in with my piranhas or do you think oscar will eat them. i read somewhere that an oscar can work as a tank mate. i have also seen a video on here with an oscar in with rbps. i mean i dont think the piranhas can hurt oscar but im afraid that oscar may eat them. i had oscar originally in my 60 gallon with 3 giant danios to cycle the tank and he never even thought about touching the danios, well i guess he couldn't catch them. please help me
[snapback]886433[/snapback]​
If you care about your oscar then dont

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If he doesn't eat them right off the bat he will eventually get taken out.

Read the first thread in Traumatic's link, that should help you out a bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eitehr the oscars gonna harass the ps to death and they p's gonna bite of his tail or the p's gonna bite off his tail at 1' and hes gonan die eventually when they get big enough to start biting him.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't do it. It's a bad idea. Some people have success with housing them together, but it is a very stressful experience for the fish in general even if they do "accept" eachother. The ps will eventually eat it. Actually, with that small of a p, they might be swallowed.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
if u like ur ps and ur oscar dont do it! Do not put in the oscar only badness will happen sell or trade the oscar if you cant keep him happily in another tank!!! There is always other options than dumb ones!!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
he is going to eat them or they will eat him eventually. IMO

·
Registered
573 Posts
if you get the oscar when the p's (best bet is reds) are small and the oscar is at least twice their size he should be fine for life... but who cares anyways? oscars are big and dumb and sh*t too much. you dont want one...

·
Registered
480 Posts
i had 3 7" oscars (tiger) lived with my rbp's for few months..i was actually worried about my p's more than the oscars, they do bite pirahas...anyway, they are not in the same tank nomore, im selling the oscars

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am new to p's but have kept many oscars. Common sence tells me not to keep them together. If the oscar doesn't kill them they will eventually get big enough to attack him. As an oscar lover I fret about an oscar (esp at 6") being kept in a 10 gallon tank as well. Good luck.

G

·
pinchy said:
he is going to eat them or they will eat him eventually. IMO
[snapback]887233[/snapback]​
You would be suprised. Oscars are a lot more powerful then one could imagine. Obvously against a shoal, 1 Oscar would have his hands full. Jags on the other hand...well, that would get real messy.

DB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts