Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mate had this oscar and for ages now he was looking sick and not eating..convicts picking on him...basically they were waiting for him to die./..so we bought him home and put him in a tank of ours and he sort of looks a bit better but still isn't eating the way an oscar should.........
any suggestions...he was being fed on live food so inturn won't eat the hikari pellets we have...have tried blood worms etc..still not eatng...he knows theres food there he's just not interested in it...

Don't want to just give up on him..being oscar lovers ourselves..we have never had a sick fish before..our oscars are always healthy and well right from the start...

2,170 Posts
So you just switched him in to his own tank? Likely he is still very stressed and doesn't have his appetite back yet. Give him time, make sure the water is clean and up to standard, and eventually he will crack and accept the pellets.

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
i agree. also it might take him some time to adjust out of the habit of eatting live foods.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
To get him on dry: If he's too the point where he responds to live well, feed him that and get him used to knowing when feeding time is and looking for it to get dropped it. And then try one day dropping in something like krill or pellets to see if he strikes that instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish

Thanks heaps for all your reply's....I have him use to knowing where the food gets put into the tank...he responds to me wiggling my finger in the water before i feed them...he's in the tank with 2 female convicts of mine..their leaving him alone which is good...he even has a go at them..so he's not completely lost yet...he will take some blood worms in his mouth and then spit it back out...he doesn't like hikari...I have added a pic this time so you can see how skinny he is..we are calling him waffer.....he's too tiny for the feeder fish from our LFS so what other live food could i try him on?........

Attachments

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
View attachment 132433

Thanks heaps for all your reply's....I have him use to knowing where the food gets put into the tank...he responds to me wiggling my finger in the water before i feed them...he's in the tank with 2 female convicts of mine..their leaving him alone which is good...he even has a go at them..so he's not completely lost yet...he will take some blood worms in his mouth and then spit it back out...he doesn't like hikari...I have added a pic this time so you can see how skinny he is..we are calling him waffer.....he's too tiny for the feeder fish from our LFS so what other live food could i try him on?........
Fish can go a loooooooooooooong time without food, especially carnivorous fish. He'll get less picky with time. Dont let him train you! Oscars are very clever. If you have to feed him guppies, that's fine, but he will get spoiled.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
Our mate had this oscar and for ages now he was looking sick and not eating..convicts picking on him...basically they were waiting for him to die./..so we bought him home and put him in a tank of ours and he sort of looks a bit better but still isn't eating the way an oscar should.........
any suggestions...he was being fed on live food so inturn won't eat the hikari pellets we have...have tried blood worms etc..still not eatng...he knows theres food there he's just not interested in it...

Don't want to just give up on him..being oscar lovers ourselves..we have never had a sick fish before..our oscars are always healthy and well right from the start...
give him time. oscars will become stuborn and moody and their diet is the first thing that will suffer. in time he will regain some health and start to eat when he chooses. i recommend feeding him simple pellets foods and cleaning up what he doesnt eat in a few hours. eventualy his hunger will overcome his mood and he will come about. oscars are amazingly hardy fish but are also amazingly moody so boycotting diets arent unheard of. make sure the tank is well designed and the temperature is around 80 degrees. he will be fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts