Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i currently have a small oscar and am thinking of getting some p's, i was wondering how well they act together and yes i do realize they need to be roughly the same size. Also is it bad to keep a single Cariba in 1 tank??like 1 cariba in a 60 g??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ive tried that experiment before with a 12" Oscar and a small shoal of 6-8" reds. The oscar swam gracefully around the tank for several hours. I left for an hour and when I came back I noticed a large nip on its tail fin. Thats when i called it quits. It may work at a smaller size but the reds are bound to take nips on its tail since it's protien rich. Worst case is death to the oscar unless the mouth of the oscar is large eoungh to consume the smaller red.

You can keep one caribe in a 60 gal tank. However if your looking for action 2-3 would suffice.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
A lone Caribe leaves alot to be desired. Take it from someone who nearly died of boredom from trying this. On the upside, you would have one beautiful looking specimen.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
its a hit or miss situation...if you don't mind losing fish and money,try it..but be warned you might come back with only a oscar head floating in the tank

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. ya i know i just got the oscar, i have it in a 30g with a 12"+ fancy goldfish which is about 3 years old, and i got the oscar for free from a friend. I would definetly like to have a number of cariba, but my wallet is just sooo big you know?maybe i will try some rb's with a cariba. i dunno yet i still have to get the bigger tank and set it up. thanks for the advice.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You can go with 3 Pygos (Natts or Cariba) in your 60g...don't do the Oscar mix...i did it before and regret...sometimes Oscar and Ps can coexist but never comfortable at all!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah, even if the oscar is able to survive it will be very stressed out all the time constantly being nipped at and chased around...maybe not constantly but enough to give me a heart attack if I were the oscar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 2 4" rbp, 1 4" oscar, 1 1" oscar, 1 2" african peacock chiclid. They are living almost friendly but i had an other 1" peacock, they ate it few days ago. There is a small nip at the tail of big oscar but no big harm at all. So i can say that they may live friendly but there is no guarantee for the tankmates of piranha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts