Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a farely small (2") oranda goldfish and I am not sure if it will be okay to survive in a water temperature of 80 degrees.

I read a profile that said they shoudl be kept in an aquarium with a temperature of 65-75°, but then again goldfish are said that they should be kept in cold water...basically meaning that they can be kept in an aquarium with no heater. I have kept goldfish in aquariums with the water temp being 78-80 degrees...

BUT.....

I have never kept this species of fish so I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had any personal experience with keeping these fish. He/she is in the tank right now and as far as I can tell he is A-okay...the only thing that makes me think that the water may be too warm for him is the fact that he is mainly swimming around at the surface of that water. that could also be due to the fact that he i in a new tank and he/she's just getting use to its new home

let me know & thanks to anyone who has any input

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
acestro said:
A great deal of their survival is oxygen dependent. Higher temps mean you need more space and aeration...
[snapback]824251[/snapback]​
Aren't goldfish top breathers and no aeration needed?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rchan11, what do you mean by
'Aren't goldfish top breathers and no aeration needed?
??

they have gills (obviously) so they get their oxygen that they need out of the water. I am not sure what you mean by saying that they are top breathers...they dont hold their breathe and then go to the surface to get a gulp of air
. However, there is a fish that does do that & it is called a lungfish.

Mandy&Gal, it is true that they live in warmer water temperatures, but I dont really think that 75-80° is an ideal temp for them. I found a profile about them on the interent and here is the link for the Oranda Goldfish.

My oranda goldfish has been in my tank for a full day now & he seems to be okay. He is no longer hanging around that the top of the water anymore and is freely swimming around at all levels of the tank so I think that he will be just fine. I suppose that when he was just hanging around @ the top of the water when I first got him was just because he was new to the tank and was just getting use to his new home.

the oranda goldfish is in my 50g tank along with a 5" Pacu, zebra lobster, a small albino clawed frog, a 2" white goldfish & a 4" Striped Raphael Catfish...the tank has an air wand in it so oxygen should not be a problem with that number of fish in it.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about the situation.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thePACK said:
what do you have the oranda in that the temp is so high?
[snapback]824368[/snapback]​
just because I have other fish in the tank that enjoy warmer temps & I figured he would be okay in the tank with the rest of them cause other goldfish I've kept do just fine in warmer temps than what is suggested

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just because a fish can survive a few months without aeration or filtration doesn't mean it is a good idea to do it. Every fish regardless of species needs and deserves a proper filter. Have you ever tried keeping a goldfish in a bowl? They die within a week. The same goes for bettas. Do you know anybody who has kept a betta alive for more than 2 years in a bowl without proper filtration and aeration? If you do, can you tell me their secret? Cause i'd like to know.
As for a goldfish's temperature requirements, don't worry about it. I don't have a heater or anything in my goldfish tank. All i notice is that my goldfish eat alot more when the temperature gets to around 75+.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.