Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals :D

I'm sure this topic has come up several times, but I am just going to tell you what my opinion is about optimizing P growth.
I am going to list in order of importance:

1. Water quality (most important): Obviously your tank has to be fully cycled (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites). Newbies and seasoned vets alike often get too lazy to perform frequent and routine water changes. Once your tank is cycled you still have to do water changes to get rid of excess sh*t/food/detritus/urine/nitrate/growth inhibiting hormones/TDS. Remember that your fish is literally swimming in it's own waste. I don't care how efficient or elaborate your filtration is, you still need to perform frequent and routine water changes. Large frequent water changes not only improves the physical and biological functions of your fish, but it also reduces stress, the psychological aspect.
a. ideal pH 6.5 - 7.5
b. ideal temp 78F - 81F

2. Feeding, quality is more important than quantity. The very best food you can feed your Piranha is a healthy quarantined feeder that has just been gut-loaded with a prepared food high in spirulina, vitamins, and minerals. The feeder also exercises the piranha's primal hunting instincts and just plain makes him have to exercise via chasing down the feeder. Other common foods you could supplement are beef heart, catfish fillet, shrimp, etc. Avoid food that is very oily or fatty or any kind of food that will disintegrate or make a huge mess when you put it in the tank. Remember that the amount of feeding and water quality go hand in hand. The more you feed the more you screw up the water quality. So you have to find a healthy balance between feast and famine. Alot also depends on the total number of fish in the tank, tank size, and filtration. A good general rule of thumb is target feeding, whatever your fish can consume within a few minutes (assuming you can see them eat).

3. Tank size/configuration: The bigger the foot print, the better. Height of tank is not a huge factor. The more important factors are tank length and then width. The longest and widest tank you are willing to buy is the best bet. A larger tank environment is more stable, therefore it takes more time for your water quality to degrade. Also piranha prefer a larger space to swim in. Having a larger space will make them feel more comfortable. The tank should be lit or not at all. Peripheral light should be sufficient. The tank should have a dark background. Deco is optional. If your Piranha looks and feels comfortable than nothing needs fixin'. The tank should have an extremely efficient biological and mechanical filter. Biological filtration is a must when it comes to neutralizing ammonia and nitrite build-up from the feedings. The tank should also have extremely high water flow/turn-over rate. This will also simulate the riverine environment along with providing your piranha exercise. Excercise will increase their metabolism. Increased metabolism will increase your Piranha's demand for food. More food more growth, but don't neglect water quality. The more u have to feed your Piranha, the more water you have to change.

This is all very basic info. anybody who wants to elaborate, go for it :rockin:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope so Xenon. I notice that hobbyist get so caught up in names of different aquarium products and instant fixes that they overlook the fundamentals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts