Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 125 tank 9rb. Better to run two of the xp3 or 1 xp4? Do I really need to run back hanging filter if I have canister?Tank sits on partial wall betwen two rooms really dont want to block view with back hanging filters. Any suggestios or comens on best ways to set up would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have 125 tank 9rb. Better to run two of the xp3 or 1 xp4? Do I really need to run back hanging filter if I have canister?Tank sits on partial wall betwen two rooms really dont want to block view with back hanging filters. Any suggestios or comens on best ways to set up would be appreciated.
With 9 rbp, you will need alot of filteration. I recommend a fx5 or 2 xp4 (one on each side). I have a 60 with 2 fluval 304 on each side. I also have a 135 that i will be getting a fx5 soon. I rather use one fx5 than 2 canister because less power sockets to deal with.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
i should have kept my Canister (fluval 404) , its best if u have snails in ur tank, its the best overall actually....

with my AC70 and wat not, the smaller snails get sucked into the proppeller near the motor and get ground up and get shot on the sides of the motor and build up....this killed one of my motors already...with canister, the impeller is ALL the way at the end of the filtration, so the snails would have to pass first thru the spounges, which isnt gonna happen. Get what im saying?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
i should have kept my Canister (fluval 404) , its best if u have snails in ur tank, its the best overall actually....

with my AC70 and wat not, the smaller snails get sucked into the proppeller near the motor and get ground up and get shot on the sides of the motor and build up....this killed one of my motors already...with canister, the impeller is ALL the way at the end of the filtration, so the snails would have to pass first thru the spounges, which isnt gonna happen. Get what im saying?
Never thought about that one!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 125 with 3 XP3's, they work great! - very easy to maintain, extremely quiet and are easy to keep out of sight...highly recommend Rena XP canisters and heaters
Go with 2 - you can have 1 with an intake lower to your gravel and 1 midway to pick-up debris in the current after a nice feeding
You can also use a spray bar across one end, with the other use your venturi attachment as a strong current to keep those P's swimmin'

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I am a firm believer in the XP series of filters... and on a tank that size, Id say at least two to keep the current going and filter enough gallons per hour to keep the water nice and crystal clear. I am running 2 XP3s on my 125 and have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
the more you have the better..... i would say get the FX5 less outlets blocked and cost less to keep one clean.....you have 3 xp3 you have to buy 3times the amount.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A HOB filter is not at all necessary if you have big enough canisters. These are best filters anyway.
But, however, you are overstocking your 125 g with 9 Reds. When they are big, you are in trouble.

Harry

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
to your original question.
2-XP3's or 1- XP4. 2 XP3's Is the better setup. consider that with the XP4 you only get one more teir of media then you do with the XP3. And it costs over 2X as much. So for the same cost you can get 75% more filtration out of 2 XP3s then you do out of 1 single XP4. this also gives you many more options as far as the media types you can use. you can set up one for pure mech filtration and the other as a Bio tower. As well you can place the inlets and outlets in different places to ensure full tank circulation and cut down on dead spots where crap can build up.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
to your original question.
2-XP3's or 1- XP4. 2 XP3's Is the better setup. consider that with the XP4 you only get one more teir of media then you do with the XP3. And it costs over 2X as much. So for the same cost you can get 75% more filtration out of 2 XP3s then you do out of 1 single XP4. this also gives you many more options as far as the media types you can use. you can set up one for pure mech filtration and the other as a Bio tower. As well you can place the inlets and outlets in different places to ensure full tank circulation and cut down on dead spots where crap can build up.
i 2nd that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts