Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when my p's are scared and when they are chasing feeders they jump and touch the glass cover on top of my 75. I've heard stories of people getting home and finding a dead p on the carpet. I have an awesome idea for my tank but I'm not sure it would be in the best interest of my fish.

Has anyone tried an open top tank?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've never tried it because I was always afraid to come home to a dead fish.

Maybe others have had success with it,and have a differing opinion, but I wouldn't ever recommend an open top.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I wouldn't try it because there is always a chance that your p's might decide to go freefallin. Also the top protects your water from dust stuff in the air.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you have to top it off all of the time?? It just seems to me like it would be hard to keep the temp steady with a closed top and all of the extra evaporation.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
i wouls say 1/3 of my tank is open at all times. I never had a piranha jump out nor grasp water from the surface. ::knock on wood::

G

·
there are certain fish I would stay away from with an open top tank.
pygo's would be a bad choice, they are to flighty and if anything ever happens in the shoal one could easily break the surface in attempt to outrun a tankmate.
some serra species as well like elongatus, they are very active.

if your fish is solitary and mellow you should be fine.
either way it's risky for any fish.
i'm willing to try it on my 12" rhom. after watching his behavior over the last few months I feel confident it will stay in the tank.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Good to know

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hareball said:
there are certain fish I would stay away from with an open top tank.
pygo's would be a bad choice, they are to flighty and if anything ever happens in the shoal one could easily break the surface in attempt to outrun a tankmate.
some serra species as well like elongatus, they are very active.

if your fish is solitary and mellow you should be fine.
either way it's risky for any fish.
i'm willing to try it on my 12" rhom. after watching his behavior over the last few months I feel confident it will stay in the tank.
Very good point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my brother has an open top tank. the only thing hes had jump out so far is an oscar and an arrowana (they were both with the piranhas). the oscar died, but the arrowana magically survived, but was eaten a few weeks later.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i wouldnt do it because its always a chance better safe than sorry IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts