Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see my largest redbelly, which is about 7" in length, moving gravel with his lower jaw, like a bulldozer. (S)he's the only one who does this. The others are just 4-5" in size, and as far as I know reds are not yet sexually mature at that size, so I'm kinda puzzled why (s)he does that.
Does anyone know what's up with him/her? Is (s)he just horny (there's no territorial behaviour, though), or is there another explanation?

Another question: I don't know wheter the fish I'm talking about is a male or a female. Is anyone able to see it, judging from these pics?

Anyways, thanx in advance

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Only fortune tellers can tell you what sexual morphism your P. nattereri is (and there are plenty of them out there) by walking in and simply looking at it. You must wait for coloration changes (darkening) and behavior suggesting a male may be present. In your case, this might be a possiblity. Only time will tell.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
my severum does the same thing, I guess they like to re-decorate the way they like things.
I have never been to good at aqua-landscaping anyway :laugh:

·
Registered
698 Posts
There you go again comparing your sicklids to a piranha lol

Don't worry, someday they'll be on the top scale of life once they evolve (in another billion years)!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
don't know but great looking fish you have there.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks for all the compliments guys (and girls
)!!!

Innes, I would be seriously dissapointed if my reds didn't like the way I aquascaped their tank. Put so much time, effort, and money(!!!) in it, and this the way they thank me ???

Anyone else got an idea about this?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
you never know might just be horny and ready to fish hump one of the others .getting his bed done.got to look tidy for the women.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, he might be horny, but the strange thing is that the other reds are not sexually mature yet (they're all smaller), so why would he bother (I guess he can sense that his tank mates aren't ready for spawning yet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts