Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
how many breeding pairs of convicts you think i could fit in here im also getting a 10 gallon to keep the fry in once their free swimming how many gallons you think it is and do you think that tiny little filter could work for the moment only one i got liein around and i need to get convicts in it asap so gonna use i to cycle the tank till i get a bigger filter oh and its width=18 inch hieght=25 inchs and length= 36 inches
MVC_045S.JPG MVC_044S.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey this is after i resealed it and filled it with water and gravel and put some flower pots in it now just gotta wait for it to cycle good thing is the gravel stayed in a bucket of water since it came out of my old tank and it stayed pretty luke warm and dosnt seem to have fungus or anything so im happy and the filter and biomedia has been used before so hopefully wont take long to cycle this is gonna be set up to breed convicts do you think those flower pots are ok and do you think i should add anything else MVC_047S.JPG
MVC_046S.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
just one pair in a tank that size. they are very aggressive when breeding and might kill anything else. This should be in the cichlid section tho.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry about that please mods move this and do they need more cover and someone told me to buy 2 orange bellyed ones and 2 with out why is this ? and does this tank need more cover or will they be fine like thaT?

·
WWTCD?
9,817 Posts
I would suggest only a single breeding pair. Males can easily grow up to 4" or 5" and 6" is not unheard of. (I've seen it a few times.) Females will max out around 4" I think. When they breed these fish are MEAN. They'll likely kill off almost anything else that is around.

The reason the person told you to get two 'red bellied' ones and two without is that typically females will have red/pink bellies and the males will not. It's one of the easier ways of identifying them.

It can sometimes be hard to pick a pair out of the tank at the fish store. Especially once the employee goes in with their net. Sometimes a pair has already formed, however, and you might want to try and grab those. But at the end of the day I would say try and grab one or two males and three or so females - but small ones, perhaps an inch long max. Stick them in the tank and eventually you will get a pair. At this point return the ones you don't want/need or sell them off and then let the breeding pair do their thing.

Convicts are prolific breeders and a fertile pair will produce time and time again for you.

I would personally recommend adding a bit more cover to the tank. Possibly some more pots or even just some fake plants. It will make the fish feel more secure and less exposed.

You may also need something slightly larger than a 10 gallon to raise out the fry. Like I said, these fish produce a LOT of babies. You want to be ready for that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you that answerd alot of my question what do you suggest to raise the fry in ?thier going strieght to my p and chiclid tank when thier about a 1 inch or maby smaller if they over run me with babies will the pair end up killing the other ones of cause my pet store wont by the fish back they wont even take them back they say thier afraid of what could be in other peoples tank so they dont take returns and would anyone on here be intrested in some convicts cause i dont think my ps and chiclids will be able to eat as many as they will make lol thanks agian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for double post but please move this to feshwater non piranha section so hopefully i get more views and responses

Sorry for double post but please move this to feshwater non piranha section so hopefully i get more views and responses

·
WWTCD?
9,817 Posts
Honestly. To raise the babies you don't need anything all that spectacular. And rather then spending a lot of money on a tank you could instead invest in a large plastic bin of some sort. Probably get way more gallonage - about 30 or 40 or so - and not spend much on it. Just make sure the plastic is THICK so it doesn't bow out at the edges. Then all you'd need is a hang-on filter. A bubbler probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Leave it barebottomed and toss in some fake plants for cover. And you're good.

Otherwise I'd recommend a 20 or 30 gallon tank to raise the fry. This way there's enough room for them to grow. And feed them tiny feedings but often so that they grow quickly. And keep water quality pristine for the fry as well - this will also help with speedy growth.

The parents of the convicts will raise them to a certain point. But when the parents are ready to breed again and the babies are still around they will attempt to 'chase' them away. Since it's an aquarium there's no where for the fry to go and they'll likely be killed off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts