Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got two xp3 filters, I want to know is anyone has set up two filters in such a way where one is doing only biofiltration (with maybe a little sponge to stop the big stuff), and the other only for mechanical?

I realize that sponge media can also hold bacteria, but with this setup you could get away with never disturbing the biomedia, save or the occasional rinse; and you'd only be cleaning one mechanical filter...does anyone see any good reasons NOT to do this?

Just wondering.
Paul

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
well. Set it up to the top layer of both is good mech. cause you don't want a bunch of gunk goign thru your bio media. And then the bottom half just put a bunch of bio media in it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I realize that sponge media can also hold bacteria, but with this setup you could get away with never disturbing the biomedia, save or the occasional rinse; and you'd only be cleaning one mechanical filter...does anyone see any good reasons NOT to do this?
Just wondering.
Paul
True Paul,
No filter will stay only mechanical or as a bio filter. You see the bio filter with its 100 % bio media will also function as a mechanical filter by capturing particles in it. True also that you can clean your "mechanical filter" in such a way that also the bacteria will die.

The one question only remains - Why? Two combo filters are way better.

Harry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just crossed my mind. I see a lot of posts that mention not "disturbing" the biomedia, that any sort of agitation was somehow detrimental to the bacteria colony; so I wondered if anyone did this.

I'm I won't be doing it, I realize it's not practical, but thanks for the responses!

Paul

Just wondering.
Paul
True Paul,
No filter will stay only mechanical or as a bio filter. You see the bio filter with its 100 % bio media will also function as a mechanical filter by capturing particles in it. True also that you can clean your "mechanical filter" in such a way that also the bacteria will die.

The one question only remains - Why? Two combo filters are way better.

Harry
[/quote]

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Well if you have them set up like I had mentioned you can totally clean out your sponge or top layers of poly pad and still leave all of your bio media untouched. If you have one tower stacked up only bio you will have to clean it out more frequently and take the chance of killing your bact. So think of that top poly layer as your protection for your bio media. as it will keep all the big nasty chunks out of the bio.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ya BlackSunshine has a brillant idea I would try it out and keep us posted on how it works I personly think it will work great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, but the way the Renas work is water comes in the canister around the baskets and gets pumped UP thru the media, which means the first mechanical filtraton is at the BOTTOM of the filter stack. That's what made me think of it in the first place; even if I want to only clean the mech. filter, I have to take the bio out to get to it!

Thanks
Paul

Well if you have them set up like I had mentioned you can totally clean out your sponge or top layers of poly pad and still leave all of your bio media untouched. If you have one tower stacked up only bio you will have to clean it out more frequently and take the chance of killing your bact. So think of that top poly layer as your protection for your bio media. as it will keep all the big nasty chunks out of the bio.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 3 XP3's on 125. I use 2 of them with mech/bio in the 3 compartments and on the 3rd XP3 I use it for mech/chem. For the mech/bio the breakdown is like this: 1st compartment (bottom) - Rena sponge, 2nd compartment (middle) Rena Bio-chem stars, 3rd compartment (top) Rena Bio-chem stars and polishing poly pad. For the mech/chem XP3, 1st compartment - Rena sponge, 2nd and 3rd compartment - Seachem Purigen, Chemi-pure, Phosphate absorber, etc. I definately find the maintenance on the 2 mech/bio filters easier and less frequent. I find that I will usually have to access a filter for changing chemical media, so only having 1 to look after is a time saver. I would recommend you try out your idea, it certainly works for me!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool idea, thanks!

Paul

I have 3 XP3's on 125. I use 2 of them with mech/bio in the 3 compartments and on the 3rd XP3 I use it for mech/chem. For the mech/bio the breakdown is like this: 1st compartment (bottom) - Rena sponge, 2nd compartment (middle) Rena Bio-chem stars, 3rd compartment (top) Rena Bio-chem stars and polishing poly pad. For the mech/chem XP3, 1st compartment - Rena sponge, 2nd and 3rd compartment - Seachem Purigen, Chemi-pure, Phosphate absorber, etc. I definately find the maintenance on the 2 mech/bio filters easier and less frequent. I find that I will usually have to access a filter for changing chemical media, so only having 1 to look after is a time saver. I would recommend you try out your idea, it certainly works for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts