Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ummm i tried the search function but it wont let me search because one of my keywords is less than four letters.

but how do you treat this? i remember you raise the temp up but exactly to what temp? 86? and i am supposed to treat it with 5 tbl of salt per gallon but for how many days? also could this kill my rbp if left untreated?

chris

ps thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
also could this kill my rbp if left untreated?
yes
Isn't ich short for ichthyphobes?
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis

Keep the salt in there for about 2 weeks before removing it through water changes. At a temp of 84, the life cycle of the ich parasite should be about a week, but I would extend the salt treatment just in case...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DonH said:
also could this kill my rbp if left untreated?
yes
Isn't ich short for ichthyphobes?
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis

Keep the salt in there for about 2 weeks before removing it through water changes. At a temp of 84, the life cycle of the ich parasite should be about a week, but I would extend the salt treatment just in case...
so did you constantly add salt every day or just do it just once?

okay i have a 55 gallon. i should add 11 tablespoons just once or should i add everyday till the ick disapeers? ill make sure to increase the temp also.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
The life cycle of ich has several stages... The spots you see on the fish (trophonts), the "egg" stage that usually settles to the ground or attaches to plants/decor and multiplies within the cyst (tomonts), which finally releases the free swimming stage of this parasite (tomites). It is when the parasite is at its tomites stage that it is infective and also when it is most vulnerable to treatment. At this point, they are not visible to the naked eye. So just because you see the "spots" on the fish disappear does NOT mean that it is gone. You have to continue treatment until their life cycle is complete (which takes about 48 hours for the tomites to find a host).

It's been only 3 days since your initial post. Keep the temp up for another week and leave the salt in there. Than you can slowly bring the temp back down and get rid of the salt through water changes.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
DonH said:
The life cycle of ich has several stages... The spots you see on the fish (trophonts), the "egg" stage that usually settles to the ground or attaches to plants/decor and multiplies within the cyst (tomonts), which finally releases the free swimming stage of this parasite (tomites). It is when the parasite is at its tomites stage that it is infective and also when it is most vulnerable to treatment. At this point, they are not visible to the naked eye. So just because you see the "spots" on the fish disappear does NOT mean that it is gone. You have to continue treatment until their life cycle is complete (which takes about 48 hours for the tomites to find a host).

It's been only 3 days since your initial post. Keep the temp up for another week and leave the salt in there. Than you can slowly bring the temp back down and get rid of the salt through water changes.
follow this man and you will be fine!

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey thought this would be an appropriate thread for my question...
what are the main differences from medication you buy to kill ick, and salt?
What does an ick parasite actually do when it is on the fish? does it slowly eat the fins or drink blood or what?
why is it that they thrive in lower temperatures, most bacteria/parasites prefer warmer temperatures right?
there must be ick in the wild.... how do fish naturally defeat it? or is it if they get it in the wild they are eventually doomed?
some of my questions are just curiousity, but some will help me out aswell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.